Why It’s Okay to Be Selfish Sometimes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dickinson chapter.

This semester was a whirlwind. Between balancing three jobs, being more involved on campus than ever and my classes, I barely had any time for myself. On top of that, I was trying to solve the great mystery every college senior faces: what do I do with my life? I felt like I was being pulled in a hundred different directions and always had something to worry about. If I finished one thing, there were five other things waiting for me. This was especially exhausting for me as an introvert. My social life and health seriously suffered, and I found myself constantly wanting to hole up in bed.

Image

After lots of trial and error, I realized I had to be at least a little bit selfish for my sanity. Being selfish comes with negative connotations; however, not all types of selfishness are the same. Of course there are questionable types of selfishness – being greedy, manipulative, etc. – but there are beneficial types of selfishness as well. Research has found that people exhibiting actions in their self-interest are more likely to gain leadership roles. Being selfish can also help eliminate toxic people from your life and reduce stress.

In lieu of finals week, please remember to take time for yourself. Be unapologetically selfish (as long as it isn’t hurting anyone else), because no one can take care of yourself as well as you can. Pay attention to your needs and say no to things you can’t commit to. Prioritize your happiness and health above other things. And, if it’s still too much, just take a deep breath and take a short break.

Goeun Choi

Dickinson

Goeun is a senior psychology major and Senior Editor at Dickinson College. She works at the career center on campus and is involved in her chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta and in Psi Chi. French bulldogs, Mexican food (or any food), and bad reality TV are her weaknesses. Find her on Instagram at @goeun.