This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DCU chapter.

College is a huge time of transition for anyone going in to first year. We go from having the same structured routine and being supervised by our parents 24/7, to being adults (kind of) and having to fend for ourselves. However, times of huge change can be particularly difficult for people dealing with mental health issues of any type. It can be hard to combat symptoms when you’re trying to adjust to your new course and timetable, so here are my top tips for looking after your mental health as a fresher. 

1. Alcohol. 

As you’ve probably noticed by now, drinking alcohol can be central to a lot of college activities. As young adults, most of us love going out and having a couple of drinks and hitting a nightclub (probably more often than we should!). During fresher’s week, nights out seem to be the best place to meet new friends. Sometimes it feels as if it’s expected of you to go out as much as possible and drink as much as your friends are drinking, but it’s totally okay to not drink. Alcohol can bring mental health symptoms to the surface for some people which is not what you want to contend with at the same time as starting a new course. Give going out sober a go! If you’re just looking for a bop with your friends, it could work well for you.  

Also, be sure to make the most of the daytime events going on in your college. Most Students Unions organise a lot of on-campus activities during fresher’s week which can be great places to get chatting to new people while giving alcohol a miss. Your new college may even have a sober society which are dedicated to hosting activities unrelated to alcohol. 

1. Clubs and Societies. 

One of the best things you can do with your time in college is join a club or society. Most colleges have a huge array of choice when it comes to which one you want to dedicate some time to. From frisbee to anime, there’s something for everyone. The good thing about joining one for people with mental health issues is that it’s a great way to meet like-minded people and establish a group of pals to make plans with. Having a foundation group of people who you know have similar interests can be incredibly reassuring for people who may be socially anxious. 

1. College services. 

If you’re heading to college knowing that you will be dealing with mental health issues, checking out the services your college has on offer is a great idea. A lot of colleges offer subsidised or free counselling services to students, but unfortunately the demand may be high by the time you get around to considering it. Get in early and apply to see someone because having someone reliable to talk to about everything going on is what a lot of people need when starting college. Counselling may even have not been accessible to people before college, and counsellors can help you to develop ways for you to manage your mental health or even get to the root of your problems.  

1. Mental Health days. 

College can seem daunting at first, but with it comes flexibility which can be useful when dealing with mental health. Between extra-curriculars, clubs and societies, socialising, studying and going to lectures it can sometimes feel as if there aren’t enough hours in the day. When you’re struggling, you can feel as if you’re not doing enough if you take time to look after yourself. Utilise the flexibility that college gives you to take time to look after yourself, even if it means only going to lectures that day. Sometimes when your symptoms are a bit too much, having a day where you treat yourself and rest is just what you need and something that isn’t possible while in school. It’s okay to take self-care days! 

1. Make your home your own. 

One thing that makes or breaks your college experience is your living situation. You may end up in a house with other students, renting a room in a family home or on campus. Wherever you find yourself, make your room your own. Make your bedroom into somewhere that makes you happy. Bring things from home to make the room familiar (like pictures of your friends or your childhood teddy) and decorate it with things you love. Having a base that you feel happy to be in can be very comforting for a lot of people and knowing that you can return there after a bad day is the best feeling in the world. 

The transition from school student to college student can be hard, I hope this list helps someone during their first couple of weeks. You are more than capable of having a brilliant college experience despite mental health issues! Remember to take things in your stride and make the time to deal with issues when they arise. Different things work for different people and this list is comprised of the things I wish I had known before starting. 

Photo by Aman Bhargava on Unsplash

DCU campus correspondent 2018/19. Third-year media studies and politics student in DCU. From the beautiful city of Kilkenny. Opinionated about social issues. Enjoys writing a cheeky article here and there. Loves everything to do with queer culture and is obsessed with drag. Works part-time as a receptionist and one day hopes to work for an online media publication. Loves Her Campus and all it stands for.
Hey guys! I'm Megan and I'm from Ireland. I'm studying Journalism in Dublin City University.