The Thing about New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

New Year’s resolutions aren’t easy to see through—for anyone, really. 

We tend to get real pumped about our resolution. We tell our friends and family we’re really going to see it through this year and that nothing will get in the way of our determination. Focusing on a resolution somehow makes it all feel more real, as if backing out would have serious implications on our conscience or authenticity. 

After all that hype, we may realize that we’ve set the bar way too high. We’re no longer feeling inspired or driven by that spark of hope. Instead, we start feeling pressured and this pressure becomes too difficult to handle.

It’s only a New Year’s resolution—being unable or unmotivated to see it through in no way lessens you as an individual. In fact, according to StatisticsBrain, an online community and platform for wide ranging statistics and analytics, a mere eight percent of the population in the United States successfully achieved their New Year’s resolution in 2015. Of that remaining 92 per cent, only 46 per cent of them managed to make it past the six-month mark. But for those of you still planning on making some resolutions for 2017, don’t let this dim your holiday spirit. 

Regardless of the intensity of your dedication, New Year’s resolutions don’t always work out. This can be a real bummer, especially after you’ve repeatedly told yourself that nothing can or will distract you from making this well-needed and well-deserved change. But things get in the way. Whether it’s because you’re lazy, busy or too stressed out, your New Year’s resolutions may be forced to take a back seat. Whatever the case may be, it’s okay. We’re not perfect—which is a very cliché statement, but still true. Things get in the way, people get in the way and we get in our own way. 

In the past, I’ve wanted it all in terms of New Year’s resolutions, and I’ve pretty much failed at it all. BUT that doesn’t stop me from trying and hoping that one day I’ll be able to bask in the joy and pride of having made a good and honest self-change in my life. Until then, I’ll keep trying. You should too. Don’t let anyone stop you from having a New Year’s resolution. It won’t do you any good. You are so capable.

In moments of self-doubt, try to remember two things: 

Be reasonable. Everyone has something they’d like to change or fix about ourselves, and we’re all capable of making those changes. Give yourself a good amount of time to work up to it. Don’t go crazy and think up some plan that you know won’t end well. 

Stay confident—positive vibes to everyone. Not only will this better your chances of success, but it will motivate you to do it in a way that you can be proud of.

Wishing you loads of good luck with your happy resolutions! 

Somewhat intense, somewhat carefree spirit attempting to navigate through Concordia's English Literature program. Lover of all things literature with an unceasing desire to find my own personal, unique space within the field. Acquires a totally awesome sense of humour.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.