Rethinking the “Bikini Body”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

The summer is approaching quickly which means trips to the beach, going swimming and getting that awesome summer glow! This can be a stressful time especially if you’re battling self image issues. So, how do you overcome this? How do you feel confident in your bikini?

Let me tell you that I’m not going to give you the answer that you think. First of all, our culture has, unfortunately, given our society the wrong image of beauty. No one can put a limit on what is beautiful because it’s going to look different for everyone. So, with that being said, everyone is already bikini ready! You’re beautiful because you are you! Everyone is different and unique in their own and that is something that should be celebrated!

Now, I know you’re thinking, this is a ridiculous statement but, really no one has the right to tell someone else whether they’re beautiful or not. You have to accept yourself the way that you are and be kind and loving to yourself. We all have flaws and for some reason we get it in our head that someone is better than us, but really we are all human and we all make SO MANY mistakes, we can’t compare ourselves to others and we can’t judge others.

So, I know you are probably thinking “well loving who I am is easier said than done”. YES! You are correct! As someone who has dealt with body image issues and an eating disorder I can tell you it isn’t easy and will take time to fully accept, but it’s a lot simpler than you might think.

Step 1: Start talking to yourself, DO NOT listen to yourself

For some reason most of us tend to be extremely hard on ourselves. So, we immediately are negative and harsh on ourselves. For example, all of my freshmen year I would beat myself up for not getting better grades, even though I did the best that I could. I would tell myself that I was an idiot. This resulted in a lot of self hate and doubt. I had to tell myself that I was trying my absolute hardest and doing the best that I could and that was really all I could do. If I would have given myself grace, everything would have been a lot better.

Step 2: If you mess up, forgive yourself, and pick yourself back up.

This one is hard for me because when I fail at something my first instinct is to be mad at myself and then to give up. There is no way to be perfect at anything because WE ARE HUMAN. We mess up. So when this happens just be kind to yourself, leave your failures behind, pick yourself up, and move on.

Step 3: Be thankful for you!

Okay this one sounds conceited, but I usually find that people will always be hard on themselves so it’s important to remember that you’re awesome! I know that we will always wish we could look different, be better at something, or be someone different. You are you and we can’t change that, so embrace yourself flaws and gifts. You’re different and that’s awesome!

You guys are amazing! I hope you have an amazing summer and rock that bikini body that you were born with!

I am sophomore marketing major who loves traveling, the outdoors and anything to do with food!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19