Wellness > Mental Health

How Her Campus Clemson Practices Self-Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

This month Her Campus is focusing on the importance of self-love and prioritizing time to care for one’s mental and physical health.  Therefore, Her Campus Clemson we will be posting articles all week centered around these themes.  To start off, I asked my team, “How do you practice self-love on a daily or weekly basis?”  Here’s what they had to say:

1. Through Faith

“I am a firm believer in God, and everyday I read a page out of my daily devotional book to show myself love. Reading this shows me that even though I may be having a rough day/week, I can always count on God to love me and show me that I can always love myself.” -Brooke Whitaker, Junior

2. Scheduling Me Time

“Taking time to do things for myself without guilting myself for the “wasted” time. This can be enjoying a game, scrolling through Pinterest, pausing studying for a much needed shower, or getting sleep when I still have assignments.” -Mayme Medlock, Freshman

“I always set aside time during the day that is just for myself. I don’t think about schoolwork; I put away my phone; and I focus on what I need in that moment. Sometimes that’s meditating or doing yoga before bed, sometimes a longer shower, sometimes it’s just sitting and watching Netflix! But that time is only mine and I love having that break from reality for an hour!” -Mansi Joglekar, Junior

3. By Taking Care of My Body

“I used to be very insecure with myself, but lately I am so comfortable in my own skin! The key is to take care of your body and ignore the opinions of those who don’t matter to you. You don’t have to dress up or wear make up every day to feel pretty! Also make sure you’re careful what you use on your skin and body, I’ve found the best thing for my skin is just soap and water, and my face has cleared up so much. I tried nearly every remedy and formula for acne, and it only got worse. The chemicals are bad for your skin and hair, the best remedy is natural, unscented, soap!” -Devin Orr, Freshman

4. Journaling

“I practice self-love by taking alone time for myself to rewind and recollect. Before I go to bed I’ll often drink a cup of tea and write in my personal journal! This self time is important for me to regain control and have a clear head for the next day!” -Juliana Baumann, Senior

5. Working Out

“I make time to go to the gym and workout! It helps me relieve stress and show my body some love!” -Justine Polomski, Junior

6. Pampering Myself

“The way I practice self love is by making sure I pamper myself by getting my nails done! I think it’s so important for me mentally and emotionally where I can take time for myself in that way and decompress from what may have happened in a certain week. It’s also a great time for me to be able to self reflect and see how I can continue to grow and improve as a person!” -Shay Johnson, Senior

“I personally take baths in candle light and just clear my mind…” -Brittney Tabares, Junior

7. Doing Something Small You Enjoy

“…wearing cute jammies and feelin’ cute when I wake up and have my coffee!!!” -Hannah Luke, Sophomore

Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.