This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

As students, we deal with a lot of pressure–studying, exams, body image, the future. And now, with finals upon us, we’re reaching perhaps one of the most stressful times of the year. I know that just thinking about all of my work sometimes paralyzes me, and I end up not doing anything at all some nights. This article is your key to avoiding that scenario.

Here are our tips to destress in a highly stressful environment.

1. Take a walk

It’s one of the simplest ways to let your mind recharge. Get some fresh air and enjoy your beautiful campus.

2. Go off campus for a day

As beautiful as your campus may be, sometimes a change of scenery can be helpful. Whether it’s as basic as a shopping trip or Target-run, doing something that deviates from your usual schedule can give you the boost of energy you need to power through your Econ reading.

3. Get crafty

An effective and productive therapeutic technique is creating art. Whether it’s journaling, painting, crocheting, or crafting, letting the creative juices take over your mind for a short break will definitely allow you to feel happy, relaxed, and ready to get back to work.

4. Allow yourself an allotted time to just goof off

Watch an hour or half hour of TV, chill on your bed, have a mini-dance party–just do something that makes you happy.

5. Exercise

The gym is the perfect place to de-stress, because endorphins will naturally come– all you have to do is allow yourself to feel them. Think of the gym as an escape, a place where you can just focus on yourself. It’ll keep you sane while keeping you fit.

6. Treat yourself

Whether it’s with food, clothing, or appliances, take the time to acknowledge how hard you’re working and appreciate yourself.

Got any secret stress-relievers you swear by? Share them with us in the comments!

Karishma Patel is a sophomore Journalism-Editing and Graphic Design major at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is also on the pre-medicine track.