Your Guide to Staying Sane During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Finals week. The time that inevitably rolls around twice each school year. The time that we dread but also look forward to because it means we have survived yet another semester. Let’s face it…endless hours in the library can really mess with your psyche and the whole week leading up to your exams often ends up feeling dream-like, as if you’re going through the daily motions of studying and preparing without total awareness. Although the main focus of finals week should clearly be on getting your work done, it’s important to also incorporate study breaks and some fun throughout the week to achieve a balance that keeps you from going insane!

Efficiently getting your work done 

1.) Focus on the most difficult subjects first

This advice might be difficult to follow as a Bucknellian taking at least four rigorous and challenging courses, but saving your favorite subjects for last is almost like a little reward for getting through the tough stuff (hey, whatever works!). If you dislike math with a burning passion, why not complete your statistics project before putting together your final portfolio for the English class you adore? That way the “real work” (it’s not as much work if you enjoy it!) is out of the way and you can focus more on the things you’re more personally invested in.

2.) Eliminate all distractions…really.

This one can be a little tough, because if you’re the type who needs music to study, that means you’ll need your computer or phone, which also means you have easy access to other distractions such as Twitter, Facebook, Buzzfeed, etc. Try putting your phone on airplane or “do not disturb” mode so you won’t be tempted to reply to texts or refresh your Instagram feed every 10 minutes. The quicker you can power through your work, the sooner you can justify taking a break! 

3.) Ask for help.

While reviewing your old tests and notes from the beginning of the semester, it’s more than likely that you may feel like you’re still a little unsure of some of the material, or perhaps you just want to double check that you’ve got a complete understanding. If you’re getting mixed feedback from other students or just want to hear it from the source, it’s totally acceptable to email your professor or go to office hours with even the slightest of concerns. Remember that your professor wants to see you succeed! 

4.) Stick with what works best for you

If you never study in groups, now isn’t the time to test it out and see if it’s for you. Stick to the studying style that has earned you the best results in the past. Just because your friend aced her exam by studying with notecards doesn’t mean you should abandon you’re trusty one-page study guide! 

5.) Trust yourself

During finals week more than any other time of the semester, it’s so easy to doubt yourself. Did I really learn this? I don’t remember going over this! What if I blank out during the exam?! Feeling a little insecure and nervous about finals is incredibly normal, especially when you’re facing a cumulative exam, but it’s important to recognize all of your achievements that have led up to this point–the most beneficial thing that you can do for your self-esteem is to trust yourself. Never forget that you’re an intelligent individual, you’re at Bucknell for a reason, and you’re hard work is going to pay off! 

Managing your free time and study breaks

1.) Never underestimate the value of a break

You might be tempted to push through your work without taking time for a breather, but this might have negative effects in the long-run. Pushing yourself too far might result in frustration that makes you less likely to retain important information. It may feel like you have absolutely no time for a nap, but chances are that your study session isn’t doing much if you’re falling asleep on your book, so why not shut your eyes for even just ten minutes (don’t forget to set an alarm…or two!)? You’ll be surprised at how reenergized you feel after just a short period of time! Your brain needs time to slow down, process, and absorb all of those facts and formulas you’ve been cramming in at lightning speed!

2.) Interact with humans…seriously, don’t abandon your social life completely

They say isolation can drive a person to madness, and nothing serves as a better example of that than a college campus during finals week. While hiding yourself away from the rest of humanity can really help you to knock out your work, it can also make you feel less connected and decrease your overall happiness. Take time to watch the newest episode of New Girl and giggle uncontrollably, give yourself a twenty minute coffee break, and definitely don’t skip out on the usual group dinner in the caf or the Bison to finish going over that last Econ chapter–the book will still be there when you get back and social relief work wonders for the mind and soul! 

3.) Make a schedule and stick to it.

Writing down a list of things to do at the beginning of each day (or even the night before, if you want to be super organized!) and scheduling little breaks into your day can help you feel more accomplished (nothing like checking something off of your to-do list) and really enjoy your well-deserved break. 

4.) Embrace “in between” time and the season of spring.

You won’t have a final scheduled for every time slot every single day and chances are you won’t be studying during every single minute in between your exams…if you do that, the chances of you going crazy are near 100%! It’s finally springtime and the weather is warming up, so why not take a quick walk down Market Street and enjoy the street-side blooms and songs of the birds? Stepping outside even just for five or ten minutes can work wonders for your focus. Just taking some deep breaths and changing up the scenery can help you feel renewed and ready to tackle the last of your work. 

5.) Take time to reflect and care for yourself

For some of us, this will be our last time in the Bucknell Bubble until next fall (nearly three months!), so definitely enjoy things while you still have time. Give your senior friends lots of hugs, splurge on your favorite milkshake from 7th Street Café, and while you’re at it, you might as well do some last minute window shopping at Dwellings! Take good care of yourself by eating well and getting plenty of sleep, because you’ll perform your best when you feel your best. Also, spend some time reflecting on all of the amazing things that you’ve accomplished during this school year. Recognize and appreciate your growth, rock those finals, and rest up over the summer in anticipation of another awesome year come this fall!

Sara is a current sophomore double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Aside from serving as the Vice President of Administration and writing for Her Campus Bucknell, she is a tour guide, holds a position in her sorority, and serves as a peer counselor at a local elementary school. Sara is an avid fan of yoga, coffee, reading, spontaneous dance parties, and anything that involves rainbow sprinkles.
Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!