A Surf Brand That Will Take You Far Beyond the Beach

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Her Campus Bucknell has been lucky enough to partner with the emerging clothing company VoyVoy created by entrepreneur Nat Disson. The surfer-style t-shirts are gaining recognition on college campuses across the U.S. for their bright colors and great pocket designs. VoyVoy’s interesting name is based from a surfing phrase translated from Spanish meaning “I go, I go.” This seems to embody the company’s vibe. We got a chance to talk with Nat about everything from his personal style to how he would describe the company in a tweet. Get ready to meet your new favorite brand.

1. How would you describe your personal style?

Classic with a little edge I think. My friends joke that I wear all the same things as they do, but always with a little twist. I have a Barbour jacket, for example, but it’s a special edition that doesn’t look like any other Barbour. VoyVoy definitely reflects that, we make a standard t-shirt with a slight twist.

2. Where did you get the idea for VoyVoy and what kind of lifestyle do you think it portrays?

The idea slowly developed over time. I’ve spent my life surfing and started my first business making surfboards. My dad and I were tired of standard surf brands as they were designed for someone of a younger generation and poor quality. We wanted something that was well made, simple design, but still embodied that fun and irreverent subculture of surfing. I think VoyVoy holds true to this by making high quality, unique, and fun products. It portrays the lifestyle of someone who appreciates quality and design but is down to earth and isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty.

3. If you had 150 characters, how would you describe VoyVoy in a tweet?

VoyVoy is a surf inspired clothing brand designed to take you far beyond the beach.

4. VoyVoy is already a widespread name at Bucknell, can you let us know a little bit more about how various students at this school have become ambassadors of the brand? Is there anyway for other students to get involved in spreading the word about VoyVoy?

I started the brand while still in school, and the initial word of mouth buzz was through friends at other schools. When I graduated, I nurtured the relationships I made and had those first ambassadors pass down the torch. From there, we grew our brand ambassador program, the VVorkers, through word of mouth and social media. We accept applications for interested participants either by email to TheWave@voy-voy.com or a Facebook message through the VoyVoy page.

5. Where do you draw your inspiration from?

I am really just a color fanatic. All our designs are color based, from shirts to hats to phone cases. I am obsessed with matching colors and patterns.

6. The VoyVoy tees have a great pocket detail. What is something that you would typically carry around in that pocket?

My metro card is always in there. There is nothing worse than fumbling through a bag or your pocket to find it in a busy subway station. If I’m waiting for a call or something my phone sits there, too.

7. You have a traveling mascot named VVilson that corresponds with your logo (a great design of a monkey). There are pictures of VVilson here on campus, but do you know what adventure he is on right now?

VVilson was something fun we started a few months ago to give life to our mascot and to just have fun with our customers. VVilson spent January in Copenhagen, Virgin Gorda, and skiing out west in Jackson Hole. We just received a few picture of him in Australia, Puerto Rico, and California…I don’t think he likes the winters in New York.

8. If someone wrote a biography about you, what would the title be and why?

I’d need to do something worthy of a biography first!

9. If Bucknell’s Her Campus staff came to your house for dinner, what would you prepare for us?

My first job ever was working on a Lobster boat on an island off Maine. I’d steam some mean lobsters in beer for you.

10. What songs are on your playlist right now?

I listen to a lot of dj mixes these days. I like to throw on my headphones and not have to choose each song, I can sit at my desk and continually listen for hours.

11. Where do you see VoyVoy in five years?

Hopefully still growing! However, I am annoyed by so many brands who over expand and begin making every product they can put their logo on. It dilutes their image. I want to make products that make sense for us and that we can add value to.

12. What is your absolute favorite VoyVoy tee?

I have the dark navy tee and a custom black tee in constant rotation right now. They are simple and clean with a slight splash of color.

It’s safe to say that VoyVoy is quickly becoming a household name on our campus and we can’t wait to see where it goes in the next few years. Look out for Her Campus in the LC Mall after spring break to get a chance to learn more about VoyVoy and enter our raffle for a chance to win some awesome VoyVoy products. 

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!