The Scoop on Super Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

The term “super food” has been sweeping the nation recently. But what exactly is a “super food” and why are they so, well, super?  Super foods are nutrient-rich foods, packed with vitamins and loaded with other benefits to keep you healthy and strong.  Luckily for the women of Bucknell, the university offers plenty of these so-called “super foods” for our consumption.  Here is a short list of offerings available daily – try to take advantage of them!

Quinoa: Referred to as the “super grain of the future”, quinoa actually dates back to over 3,000 years ago when it was first discovered and believed to have increased the stamina of Inca warriors. Quinoa has it all – protein, fiber, iron, magnesium, and antioxidants.  And you know what makes this super food even more super?  You can do just about anything with it.  You can make quinoa salad, quinoa pancakes, quinoa soup, quinoa burgers, quinoa stir-fry, quinoa cookies, quinoa granola, and the list goes on. So, next time you’re in the bison, give the mysterious Quinoa Bar a try; you’ll have the stamina of a warrior. 

Coconut Water: I’m sure I’m not the only person who ran in the other direction when first offered coconut water.  When I finally tried it, however, I realized just how great this super drink is.  For starters, coconut water is truly delicious, and in terms of health, it is a great source of electrolytes and helps to keep the body well-hydrated.  Luckily, it is now being sold in 7th Street Café, the Library Café, and the Bison.  So when you need an extra boost, choose coconut water over a milkshake or Monster energy drink to get energized and feel healthy.

Spinach:  Popeye wasn’t lying when he bragged about the wonders of spinach – spinach truly has an endless list of benefits. One cup of it is chock-full of dietary fiber and antioxidants. Spinach also aids in lowering blood pressure, strengthening vision, boosting immunity, and promoting healthy skin and strong bones.  Furthermore, it is a great base for salad and is offered daily in the Bison, Caf, and Terrace Room.

Greek Yogurt:  Check out the newest yogurt on the block!  Greek yogurt is loaded with protein, calcium, and probiotics that help to improve overall digestive health.  It has double the protein of most regular yogurts and less sugar, as long as you’re choosing one without added candy or sweetened fruit products.  So, grab a Greek yogurt from the bison on your way to class in the morning.  You won’t regret it!

Avocados: People often connect the word “fatty” with avocados, but do not fear! Avocados contain only the good fats which actually help your body block the absorption of bad fats. They are also high in potassium and folate, which help to reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease, so go ahead and check the guacamole box when ordering from the Mexican station in the Bison. 

You probably never realized the amazing benefits of these seemingly ordinary foods.  But once you start eating them, you’ll never look at them in the same way, and you’ll certainly never feel the same either!

-Native of Los Angeles, CA -Current Junior at Bucknell University studying Theatre, Creative Writing, and Music -Addicted to Dunkin Donuts iced coffee, orbit chewing gum, and dark chocolate email: mwd009@bucknell.edu
Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!