Let’s Talk Frank Abagnale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Anything that starts off with a clip of a young, handsome Leonardo DiCaprio is destined for greatness. However, no member of the audience could’ve predicted the emotional power, constant hilarity,
practical application of the lecture given by Frank Abagnale on April 10, 2012. His introduction was the trailer of the 2002 film Catch Me If You Can, which was based off of Abagnale’s life story and book of the same name. Abagnale traveled to Bucknell University to give a “fun” lecture. While more frequently, Abagnale can be found in corporate offices and banks, giving speeches on identity theft and technology, he gears his college talks towards something a little less technical. And he was entirely right – his lecture was engaging, entertaining, and profound.
After the unbelievable life Abagnale led, many would assume he grew up as a happy teenager who fancied himself a genius. However, it turns out that Abagnale turned to crime and fraud as a means of survival. His first act of crime was as a runaway 16-year-old, altering his ID to make himself appear older in order to get a job. His career in crime grew from there. From masquerading as a Pan Am pilot to impersonating a doctor, his adolescent crimes grew to an extent he never imagined they would.
While his tales were riveting, the aspect of his lecture that had the most impact came later. His view of the crimes he committed is an interesting one. The creativity he employed at that stage in his life was incredible, yet he says he is not proud of a single crime he committed. Rather, these are burdens he lives with daily. Though he has been time and again offered pardons for his crimes he refused them. “A piece of paper cannot excuse my actions; only my actions can excuse my actions,” he said. After all his years of service to the FBI, Abagnale believes he is still working to excuse these actions.
The most important part of his life, however, is his family. Abagnale was very strong in conveying to the audience the importance of a family connection. He owes his life to his wife and children, and believes that we should all have good relationships with our parents and siblings. Regardless of the good he has done in his life, of the wrongs he committed in the past, and of the heroic work he has accomplished with the FBI, he still says the most vital aspect of his life is his wife and children.
Abagnale constantly kept the audience on their toes. From answering students’ questions about identity theft, to imparting practical knowledge about how to use Facebook safely, to a heartfelt lesson on family values, there was never a dull moment.

Michelle Joline is a senior at Bucknell University, majoring in Art History with minors in French and English (Creative Writing). Michelle is pursuing a career in broadcast media and entertainment, stemming off her long love of television and film. She is a co-founder and editor for Bucknell's branch of Her Campus and also spends her time as the Arts & Life editor of her school's newspaper, The Bucknellian. Michelle enjoys frozen yogurt, her golden retriever, New York City, movie trivia, and religiously reading The New York Times. She has been told her celebrity lookalike is none other than Michelle Tanner.