Holiday Classics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

It’s FINALLY that time of year. Sparkles. Flannel. Family and friends. Good food. Good fun. SHOPPING, shopping and more shopping. Twinkling lights.  Cold weather = comfy clothes, scarves and boots. Holiday music. Happiness.

Yet along with all the celebration comes the stress for girls like us:  how to look as fabulous as possible when reuniting with family and friends, sipping hot cocoa by the fire and opening presents during the holidays. Have no fear! Here are some of my fashion tips for different events during the holiday season. And, of course, there’s no better way to accessorize than with a homemade holiday cookie in hand … or two!

FOR RELAXING BY THE FIRE …

Nothing says “relaxed” to me more than a huge cardigan. Throw on your favorite wrap cardigan with a pair of black leggings or jeggings, an infinity scarf, minimal jewelry and a comfy pair of loafers. Add a cool braid to your bun to polish off your hairstyle, too. You’ll look casual and chic at the same time, two important factors to consider when in the company of others. 

FOR A HOT COCOA DATE …

Not only are coffee dates fun; they’re a chance to channel a cool, artsy vibe. Show your creative side off with colored jeans and a two-tone sweater. Add a printed pair of ankle booties, layered necklaces and an armful of bangles to turn the look from casual to dressy!

FOR A GIFT EXCHANGE WITH YOUR CLOSEST GIRLFRIENDS …

One of my favorite traditions is having an ugly sweater party with my best friends from home and exchanging funny presents with one another. But who says thrift-shop, heavily embroidered, beaded and adorned holiday sweaters need to be ugly? Layer the sweater over a chambray shirt and pair with dark skinny jeans, bright/sparkly flats and a plaid bow for your hair to channel the holiday vibe yet still look absolutely adorable.

FOR THE FAMILY HOLIDAY PARTY …

When you show up to family holiday parties, the immediate response you’ve most likely gotten (and will get again this year) is “Oohh my gosh!! YOU LOOK SO OLD!” from relatives you haven’t seen in a while. Show off your maturity this year with a sophisticated look:  pair a printed dress (especially plaid or tartan!) with black tightsankle booties, simple jewelry and red lipstick to finish off the look. Throw your hair in a top knot or add a sparkly barrette for some extra class.

FOR HOLIDAY DINNERS …

This one’s a toughie because there’s always that awkward moment when too much food = feeling so full that all you want to do is unbutton your pants (ladies, don’t deny it; we’ve all been there!). So, my suggestion is a pair of stretchy pants that still look great, yet aren’t constricting whatsoever (try the J. Crew Minnie Pant … they’re magic!). Wear these with a bright red or cream-colored crewneck sweater layered over a girly tuxedo shirt, and finish off with statement earrings, simple necklaces and bracelets and a low pair of black suede heels for a comfortable, classy look tailored to hide a bulge after platefuls of turkey and mashed potatoes. J

FOR SHOPPING ON BLACK FRIDAY, AND EVERY DAY DURING THE MONTH FOLLOWING …

If you’re anything like my family, we don’t mess around when it comes to Black Friday. To us, it’s a serious sport (well, maybe not for my dad or my uncle, but you get the point). Some try to “dress up” for this shopping day since so many people are out, but I do the exact opposite. STAY COMFORTABLE. Typically, I wear my comfiest pair of flats (Yosi Samra flats are a godsend), black leggings and a flowy tunic sweater with a scarf wrapped around my neck. For Black Friday first-timers, beware. It can get EXTREMELY hot in the stores! That’s why it’s important to wear bigger, flowier pieces to keep that air circulating!

FOR CITY TRIPS TO SEE THE BRIGHT LIGHTS …

As we all know, walking the streets of any major city is like walking through a never-ending catwalk. Great style is everywhere, and black will always be the new black. So, for city trips, I suggest pairing black pants or jeans with black leather riding boots, a long, black sweater and your best pea coat. Accessorize with black leather gloves, big sunglasses and a bright scarf to add a pop of color to the outfit (red is great for this time of year!). Keep your hair out of your face with a high ponytail so you don’t miss a sight.

FOR TAKING HOLIDAY CARD PICTURES …

Since holiday cards are typically sent to an insane amount of friends and family, it’s important to look natural and relaxed. A neutral-colored sweater with brown or tan skinny cords is a great go-to outfit for pictures since it’s classic, casual, yet still looks presentable. Add a statement necklace and soft make-up to keep the look simple and unfussy, letting your natural beauty really shine through.

Hopefully, these outfit tips take some stress off so you can focus solely on baking, laughing, singing, present-opening and enjoying time with loved ones. I hope you all have a fantastic Thanksgiving break and reflect on what you’re truly thankful for. I’m thankful for my wonderful and supportive family, the opportunities I’ve received, the roof over my head, the talents I’ve been blessed with and all of you who support HerCampus Bucknell!

XO,

Jen Lassen 

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!