brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Become a News Junkie in Less Than 15 Minutes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Don’t let the word “junkie” dissuade you – becoming a news junkie will be one of the best decisions you make this semester.

Never again be the last to know what’s going on in the world outside of campus.  By taking the following steps, you’ll have a better handle on everything from the Syrian refugee crisis to what really happened to Ryan Lochte in Rio.

1. Subscribe to theSkimm.

It’s a newsletter that gets sent to your e-mail every morning before you wake up.  It’s written in a sassy tone.  It’ll change your life.

1. Get back on Facebook.

We don’t care if your only active Facebook friend is your grandmother – sign back in!  Facebook tracks what people are talking about in the top right corner of your news feed.  Just by scrolling over the keywords, you can read the top headlines at any given moment.  Check it out in between classes.

1. Follow Patrick LaForge’s Breaking News List on Twitter.

He’s a senior editor for The New York Times, so he knows what he’s talking about.  Subscribe to his Breaking News list to be updated in real time by credible news sources.  Your Twitter feed is about to get a whole lot smarter!

1. Customize your News app.

This app has undergone quite a few changes since it first went up.  Check out the app, choose your favorite news sources, and set notifications for ones you find it important to hear from.  We recommend going with the Editors’ Picks.  This one’s only for iPhone users, but Breaking News + is a great alternative for non-iPhone users.

Good luck and happy reading!