This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

How theSkimm changed my life

…And no, I am not being dramatic.

As a self-proclaimed news junkie, I thought I had it all figured out.  I followed all the right accounts on Twitter, watched the local news in the morning, and read the homepages of most network news websites daily.  I could usually follow my professors when they related course concepts to current events.  I could even hold my own when an infamous and inevitable political debate started getting heated.  Then – everything changed on July 29, 2015, the day I received my first Skimm.

Founded by two producers/ best friends at NBC News, theSkimm is a “daily e-mail newsletter that gives you everything you need to start your day.”  theSkimms essentially read the news for us.  They pick out the most important parts, condense them, and write with a voice you can relate to.  They’re funny. They’re witty.  They’re smart.  They founded their company of the basis of three realizations:

1.       Reading the news is time consuming.

2.       Wanting to read the news is a hobby.

3.       Not everyone has the time or interest.

They get us.  We are college students – young professionals.  If we are some of the few who actually want to read the news, we probably don’t have the time.  Our free time occurs during those coveted ten minutes in between classes.  And theSkimm knows that.  Their daily newsletter arrives in your inbox before you can even hit snooze on your morning alarm.  It takes only five minutes to read, so it was literally ENGINEERED for our lifestyle.

I’ll admit it.  I was a little skeptical at first.  How could it take only five minutes to understand the world news of the day?  It sounded way too good to be true.  But it wasn’t.  Each major news story is condensed into a small paragraph with links to more details if you want them.  Some of my favorite parts of theSkimm are the parts I wasn’t expecting – a hilarious quote of the day, a “thing to know,” Skimm reads, Skimm wine recommendations, and the occasional political debate-themed drinking game.

So, how did theSkimm change my life?  My new morning routine consists of opening, reading, and actually enjoying a 5-minute e-mail.  I get more content in less time.  And to be honest, it’s so much better than trying not to wake up my roommates at 8:00 AM by listening to the news at the lowest volume.  Not only can I follow my professors’ current events lectures in class, but I can also contribute to them.  I don’t just hold my own in political debates anymore, I (occasionally) win.  Above all, I have more time and a deeper understanding of the top issues around the world.

And now, as a devoted Skimmer of almost eight months, I can’t imagine my mornings without it.  If you aren’t already a devoted Skimmer, then what are you waiting for?  This is a bandwagon you should be joining.