10 Ways to Get into the Christmas Spirit at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

The holidays are arguably the best time of the year: finals are almost approaching, Christmas is fast approaching, and New Year’s Eve is soon after that! It’s a time that everyone wants to spend with their family and friends. Sometimes getting into the Christmas spirit while you’re away at school can be hard, especially when all you seem to be doing this time of year is studying. Have no fear, Her Campus is here to help with 10 of the best ways you and your friends can get into the Christmas spirit at your home away from home.

1. Listen to Christmas Music

Nothing quite puts us into the holiday mood quite like some Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You.” Whether your favorite holiday jam is “Jingle Bell Rock”, “Feliz Navidad” or “Rocking Around the Christmas Tree”, throw on some music this December.

2. Decorate Your Dorm Room

While you might not be able to fit a full sized tree in your dorm, there’s more than a few ways to make your room feel a little more festive this holiday season. Hang up some stockings, tinsel, and Christmas lights (as if they weren’t already up the whole year) and you’re basically walking in a winter wonderland!

3. Get a Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks

If the Starbucks red cups don’t get you into the holiday spirit enough, their seasonal drinks definitely will. Whether you prefer mint hot cocoa, an eggnog latte, or the classic peppermint mocha, getting a holiday inspired drink will definitely help put you into a Christmas mood.

4. Participate in a Secret Santa

Secret Santa’s can be the best way to participate in gift giving with friends when you’re on a budget. It eliminates the need to buy everyone in your squad a gift, and makes gift giving a little more exciting since you don’t know where yours came from. Getting a small personalized present for your college friends is a fun way to get into the holiday spirit.

5. Watch your favorite Christmas Movie

“Buddy the elf, what’s your favorite color?” One of the best ways to get into a Christmas mood is to take a break from studying for finals and watch one of your favorite Christmas movies. Not only is there a ton of options to choose from on Netflix, but every year ABC Family has their 25 days of Christmas special with all the classics; so curl up in your PJ’s with your roomie and watch a good holiday flick this December.

6. Go Christmas Shopping with Friends

There’s no better way to get into the holiday season than buying gifts for all your close friends and family back home.  Whether you leave campus and go to the nearest mall, or spend your life savings in the bookstore on matching T-shirts for all (it is the giving season…right?), going out and buying presents can be a fun way to bond with your college friends.

7. Plan a Christmas Party

There’s no way for you to deny having some Christmas spirit when you’re hanging with all your friends enjoying some holiday festivities.  Whether you’re watching movies, drinking hot cocoa, or wearing ugly sweaters together, the holidays are a time to spend with friends.

8. Make a Gingerbread House

While it’s close to impossible to make Christmas cookies in your dorm room, preparing a gingerbread house with your closest friends can be a fun way to get into some holiday “baking.” You can buy a Gingerbread House Kit from places like Target, Walmart, and grocery stores, and prepare it with all your favorite candies. While this can get a little messy, it will definitely be a memory you’re sure to never forget.

9. Go see Santa at the Mall

Does anything really make you feel quite as festive as seeing the REAL Santa Claus? No. So go to the mall with your friends, bring your Christmas wish lists, and go see Santa himself! Take a group picture with him so you can have your very own squad Christmas card, because let’s be honest, nothing makes you feel quite as jolly as good ole Saint Nick.

10. Make some Christmas Inspired Cocktails

While there are a ton of fun ideas for Winter drinks on Pinterest, Her Campus has a few ideas for you, too.  Whether you’re into Kahlua Hot Chocolate, Peppermint Martinis, Cranberry Mojitos, or your own type of Jingle Juice, there’s a Christmas cocktail out there for everyone.

So gather up your friends, and use Her Campus’s tips for getting into the holiday spirit this winter. Merry Christmas collegiettes!

Self-Declared Pizza Connoisseur & Designated Champagne Popper