Marquavius Burnett: “CW” Sports Editor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

The Crimson White sports editor, Marquavius Burnett is a highly respected sports writer in Tuscaloosa. But, you just may be surprised, as I was, to find out his favorite sport was not always college football.

HCA: How did you get where you are today?
MB: I started as a contributing sports writer for The Crimson White a few years ago and just worked my way up. I volunteered for stories and pretty much took any assignment the sports editor gave me. My first beat was on the women’s tennis team. I was pretty nervous and actually missed the first interview session I had set up with the team. I rescheduled and got everything worked out, but it’s a great story and memory. After that, I was promoted to a paid sports reporter spot and did that for a year. I covered men’s basketball and some football. In 2011, I was promoted to assistant sports editor before being promoted to sports editor in February 2012 after the sports editor before me stepped down. I returned for my senior year and was selected as sports editor again.

HCA: What is the most rewarding part in your job?
MB: The most rewarding part of my job is being able to help young writers grow and develop their voice. I still write as sports editor, but a big part of my position is making sure my staff is put in a position to be successful.

HCA: What is the hardest part about your job?
MB: The hardest part of my job is getting people on the sports desk to take it as seriously as I do. I want to be a sports reporter/analyst/anchor for a living so I have a lot of incentive to work hard and put out a good product, but some students want to write sports because they think it’s just a fun thing to do and they don’t always take it serious.

HCA: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
MB: want to be in a position where I’m bringing readers quality work and climbing the ladder toward being a national college football reporter.

HCA: Are you involved with anything else on campus other than The Crimson White?
MB: I’m not involved in much else on campus because the CW takes up a good bit of my time with covering events and writing. I do intern with The Tuscaloosa News though.

HCA: Who is your favorite Alabama football player of all time?
MB: Growing up, I wasn’t a college football fan. I’ve always been a basketball fan so I’m not your typical Alabama student that was raised an Alabama fan, so I don’t know much about the history of the team. But my recent favorite player is Trent Richardson. I feel like he always took it seriously and he committed himself to being the best running back in the country. He led the team offensively in 2011 and was a huge part of the national championship run. He was always humbled during interviews and spoke his mind when asked a question. Hopefully, he’ll go down as one of the all-time great Alabama running backs.

For up to the moment happenings, follow Marq on Twitter and check out The Crimson White sports section to view his take on Tide sports.

Alabama Contributor