The Art of “Procraftinating”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

It’s quite obvious Pinterest in the best “procraftinating” site. There are very few people out there that don’t know about Pinterest these days. I tried out a couple of crafts from Pinterest and let’s just say they were great distractions from all the hum-drum of daily tasks.

The first craft I did was state thread art. In the first picture I have shown the supplies that are needed. You’ll need a wood board, I used a 10×13. They can be found at any supply store as well as thread and nails of your color choice. You’ll need acrylic paint if you choose to paint your board. Some that I’ve seen are just the natural wood color. I painted mine gray and used red thread and white nails because I was going for the Alabama theme.

I got the picture of Alabama from the Internet, sized it, printed it out, and then taped it on the board. I used white paneling nails, and hammered them in along the edges, and along a heart drawn around the town I’m from.

This is one of the easiest and cutest crafts I’ve done in a while. All you do is tie the string around an outside nail as your starting point, then go around a nail in the center, then back to the outside all the way around. This craft was so easy to do, and so adorable. I’m going make one of Florida, where my parents are from, next week.

The next craft I did is called “Grandmaw’s Garden.” This is flower art done on a canvas with melted crayons. Supplies needed include: canvas from your local arts and crafts store (I used an 11×14), crayons, a hot glue gun and flowers of your choice.

For the flowers I got a bouquet of fake assorted flowers from Michael’s, and cut off the stems. For the crayons I got a 96 pack of Crayola crayons, and picked all the green crayons and also threw in some browns, blues and yellows just because there weren’t enough greens.

Next you hot glue the crayons in a row along the bottom of the canvas, and while the canvas is upside down run a hair dryer on low heat to melt the crayons. This was one of the things I didn’t like about this craft—it was a little messy. I originally put newspaper down and did it in my living room but after the wax started splattering on the floor I moved outside.

It was fairly quick, the crayons fully melted in about five minutes. I let the wax dry overnight and then added the flowers the next day.  The original site doesn’t say this, but I went back and added more hot glue at the base of the canvas under the crayons as they kind of flopped around and I wanted them to be a bit more secure. Overall this craft was very easy, took very little time, and was super cute.

Photo Credit: Good Housekeeping

I am a junior writer for HerCampus Alabama. I am a senior at the University of Alabama, majoring in English, and minoring in creative writing.
Alabama Contributor