Why I Will Never Get Tired of Getting My Heart Broken

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

My last breakup was especially hard on me. I hadn’t been romantically involved with someone else for almost two years. This last guy swept me off my feet on the first date alone. I think the fact that I hadn’t been with someone in so long and the success of the first date made me think he was nearly perfect. We were together for about three months. Like any relationship, there were small things that happened that I had just brushed off, but they ultimately led to our downfall.

Since my last breakup, I have purposely not put myself in romantic situations. I will admit that part of the reason is because I am still recovering from it and I need some additional time to heal. But within the time span of my last breakup and now, I have come to find that I benefit a lot from time spent being single. Within this time, I prove to myself that I am worth it even if someone else doesn’t think I am.

Moving forward, during these past couple of months I have learned to love who I am more and more. After we ended our relationship I cried (a lot). As time passed, the days got longer and more dreadful until finally, I no longer allowed myself to sit in my self pity. I had to help myself free my mind from the person I was trying to let go. So, this summer I put myself to work: I taught myself a new skill; video editing. I posted the video via social media and it was seen and shared by the organization whom I made it in favor of. I also put an interest of mine into action which was re-establishing a Her Campus Chapter at Agnes. Additionally, I registered to take summer courses to help complete my minor, which I feel like helped me increase my chances of being accepted into the study abroad program, ASC in Spain. And of course, I set aside time to spend with my friends and family.

I did similar things to get my mind off of an ex when my relationship ended in high school. While recovering from that breakup, I became more involved in my extracurriculars such as yearbook and newspaper club, and I also strengthened my hobby of creating perfect natural hairstyles. In both instances I kept myself as physically and mentally busy as possible.

From both major breakups, I can honestly say that I bounced back pretty strong. My heart was torn apart for some time, but the results of working on myself and my goals were, and have been so rewarding. They serve as a reminder that I am worth it, and worthy, and capable. If and when I do get in a relationship again, I will cherish every second of it. But if the universe doesn’t align with what either one of us want and we do breakup, I’ll acknowledge my feelings, evaluate the events that went on, get over it, then maybe go run for President. By then, I know I’ll feel like I can accomplish anything.

Photo credits: Thumbnail photo, Body Photo 1.

MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/