stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Top 5 Best Dog Breeds for Emotional Support Animals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Emotional support animals (ESA) are becoming more and more common everyday. An emotional support animal is an animal that a medical professional has determined provides a benefit for a person. The most common ESA are dogs who are unconditionally loving, kind and happy. Emotional support dogs must be all of those things, but most importantly must be trained and well behaved. If you are looking for an ESA, here’s a list of the best dog breeds for the job.

1. Golden Retriever:

From Shadow in Homeward Bound, to Comet in Full House, Golden Retrievers are used in Hollywood because they are so lovable, loyal and very well-behaved. They are so well trained that they were the first AKC (American Kennel Club) Obedience Trial Champs. Golden Retrievers are also playful and could swim or play catch all day long. One thing to keep in mind is that they shed….. a lot.

2. Vizsla

Not overly crazy about that “dog smell”? Well do I have the dog for you! Vizslas are very clean and lack that typical “dog smell.” “When not running, it’s hard to find the Vizsla anywhere but at your feet”

These adorable dogs are sometimes called the Velcro dog because of how much they love being near their owners.  Whether you’re running around or just lounging on the couch, this breed is perfect for both.

3. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

These adorable, fluffy cuddle monsters are perfect, especially for fighting depression. They were actually bred to be a loyal companion dog and sat on the laps of many British aristocrats for hundreds of years. This breed is good for all ages but work really well with children. Their calm temperament allows them to provide comfort to kids with mental health or emotional issues.

4. Labrador Retriever

Another retriever shows you just how perfect they are, not only as a pet but also as an emotional support animal. While labs are bigger dogs, they are just so sweet. In addition to being super sweet, they are also very loyal, eager to please and super trainable. These intelligent, gentle and agile dogs even come in different color hair!

5. Corgi

I don’t know about you, but I love corgi’s little butts! Corgis are even-tempered and a very affectionate breed. These little guys are known for their obedience and friendly attitudes. Corgis would make excellent companions for people in nursing homes or with disabilities. I definitely understand why Queen Elizabeth has owned more than 30 of these adorable pups since she became Queen in 1952!

All of these dogs would help anyone in need of an ESA. If you are looking for an emotional support dog or even just a new dog, I hope this list helps you find just the right dog for you!

Danielle Kash

Adelphi '20

Hello there! I am Danielle Kash. I am a Business Management Major at Adelphi. I love to travel, cooking and LOVE to watch movies! Hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them!