Hi collegiettes! Summer break is so close I can practically taste it. I am stoked that the semester is winding down because that means I only have one semester left of college. ONE! Where have the past few years gone? But before we can head to the beach (or, if you’re me, to the office for a summer internship) we must first endure dreaded finals week. Now, I’m a lucky lady. I’ve never pulled a school-related all-nighter and for the past few semesters I’ve only had a handful of final exams to worry about. But it never fails that come May or December I get stressed out to the max. And I don’t know about you, but I’m a ridiculous stress eater. As today’s DietBet daily carrot reminded me,
So, if you also have problems avoiding chowing down during finals week, here are a few of my favorite healthier snacks to help satisfy your cravings and stay on SELF’s Drop 10 plan:
- No Salt Added mini-pretzels or Pretzel Crisps with hummus: I am addicted to hummus. Publix makes a killer jalapeno & cilantro flavor that everyone should try at least once in their lifetime. Twenty mini-pretzels is the average serving size, which is plenty during a mid-afternoon study sesh!
- Natural Applesauce: No sugar added but still super sweet. Mott’s makes cool “Snack & Go” portable pouches that you can easily take with you to campus!
- Stovetop Popcorn: Stovetop beats bagged popcorn in every way possible, y’all. Evenly coat the bottom of a large pot with a small amount of vegetable oil and add ½ cup of kernels (I always burn the bottom so I make sure to add a little more in case of error). Cover and cook on high until it sounds/looks like most of the kernels have popped. Sprinkle with extra-virgin olive oil instead of butter and any natural seasoning of your choice (dill weed is my favorite!).
- Fresh fruits and veggies: This is a no-brainer, but my go-to’s are grapes and baby carrots because they’re easy to pack if you’re studying on-the-go (plus carrots are amazing dipped in hummus!).
- Mini Babybel Light: I could without a doubt eat cheese at every meal (but I don’t, promise). Babybel is delicious and just enough for a small snack at only 50 calories!
- Arizona Diet Green Tea with Ginseng: Since I’ve stopped keeping diet coke at my apartment, I bought a jug of this tea to satisfy my need for more than just water. It tastes great and has antioxidants, vitamin C and zero calories/fat.
- Edy’s Outshine Fruit Bars: A healthier version of popsicles with tons of flavors to choose from! I recommend the pomegranate or pineapple…NOM.
- Zico Coconut Water: I’ve posted about this before, but the latte flavor is seriously the best ever. The amount of natural caffeine in one bottle will help you stay awake studying late into the night!
- Tortilla chips with salsa: Mexican food is ALWAYS where it’s at. A handful of baked tortilla chips with fresh salsa will fulfill your need for something salty.
- A banana with a piece of dark chocolate: Sure, it might sound kind of weird. But bananas are rich with potassium and dark chocolate with antioxidants. So go ahead and satisfy that sweet tooth!
I hope everyone does well on their finals and best of luck with keeping stress-related hunger in check over the next week or two! Talk to you soon!