Recently broke up with your boyfriend or girlfriend? Never been on a date in your life? No need to worry—life as you know it is far from over. There are plenty of upsides to living the single life, as well as ways to flourish. The freedom and ability to focus on bettering and loving yourself are priceless. So what are you waiting for? Make the most of flying solo.
1. You have more time for self care
Whether it’s a bubble bath or baking or anything in between, you have the time to relax and just do you.
2. You have more time to spend with friends and family
No boyfriend? No problem. This just means you have more time to spend with the people you love. After all, there’s more than just romantic love.
3. You can prioritize yourself
It’s okay to be selfish when you’re single. You can prioritize and plan your day the way you want to without having to take into consideration a significant other’s schedule, wants or needs.
4. You learn how to be more independent
Learning to feel comfortable doing things on your own is a super important skill you will carry with you your entire life.
5. You appreciate your own company more
You figure out how awesome you truly are and you don’t need anyone else to validate that.
6. You can flirt without guilt
With so many fish in the sea, you’re bound to find more than one person to test the waters with.
7. You have more time to work on achieving personal goals
Been meaning to volunteer at an animal clinic? Working on a novel? Now’s your chance. No matter what the goal is, the point is that there’s no one taking up your time.
8. There’s no one you have to answer to but yourself
No need to worry about texting a significant other when you get somewhere or telling them when you’ll be back.
9. You are the ultimate master of the remote control
No one can complain about your undying love for rom-coms or questionable taste in reality television.
10. You don’t have to worry about playing mind games
No insults, mood swings or childish games to deal with means a little less unneeded stress in your life.
11. Nobody can judge you for living in sweatpants all the time
Who am I dressing to impress? Singledom means not feeling pressured to look a certain way or wear anything that isn’t 100 percent comfortable.
12. A clean living space is optional
Provided you have a single bedroom. Feel free to embrace the beautiful chaos that is your messy room.
13. Your opinion is the only one that matters
Being fabulously single means caring about your needs. You can’t be called out on your selfishness because it’s all about you. There is nothing you have to compromise on because you are the master of your destiny.
14. You realize you can’t live by a strict timeline
Once you realize you can’t plan when you fall in love, you realize life is better spent just living your life and letting the pieces fall where they may.
15. You can discover who you are as a person
When you’re part of a couple, your identity can become intertwined with theirs. But learning who you are on your own will give you a better sense of what you’ll want later in life.
16. Nobody will steal from your chocolate or candy stash
Whoever said sharing is caring was tragically misguided.
17. You refuse to settle
High standards aren’t always a bad thing. When you’re happily living a fabulously solo life, you have zero interest in spending your time on someone. So you won’t unless they’re really worth it.