Now that Memorial Day has safely come and gone, even the most rule-oriented fashionistas can pull out their summer whites. After all, nothing screams summer more than white cut-offs or an LWD (little white dress). Despite how easy and effortless white appears, the shade can sometimes be tricky to wear. Here’s how to pull off summer’s hottest hue:
- Play up your favorite features with white. Love your legs? Make them look miles long with white denim. Like to highlight your décolletage? Play it up with a flirty white top. Remember, white (and other light colors) make your features appear larger than they actually are, so if you’re self-conscious about a certain spot, you may not want to highlight it with white.
- Check for fit. Sure, donning a skin-skimming pair of white cut-offs is a relaxed, summery way to rock this trend, but there’s a fine line between skin-skimming and skin-tight. If worn too tight, white tends to make any bumps and bulges more apparent. What’s a gal to do? Embrace your size – whatever it is! – and make sure your clothing fits and flatters.
- Match or clash? Not all shades of white are created equal. Behind white, there’s also bone, cream, winter white, pearl, and ivory. While an “all white” outfit is super chic in theory, if the shades are too far apart, they’ll most likely clash. Pick similar shades of white for the most effective look.
- Wear the right undergarments. Nothing is worse than seeing a chic white ensemble with super-obvious VPL and a dark bra showing through. Seamless nude underwear is your best bet, keeping in mind that “nude” should actually be the color of your skin. (Try the Commando thong from Her Look – amazing!) Your bra should be seamless without too many embellishments (lace and bows may show through white fabric, especially through thin tees). On bottom, a seamless nude thong is the safest option, but other styles of underwear may also work. No matter what style you choose, make sure to check the mirror before you leave the house to see if your undergarments are invisible under your clothing!
- Stay clean. White looks best when it’s crisp and clean – not when it’s stained or dirty. Place a napkin in your lap when eating to avoid stains and crumbs, and stay away from messy foods, like tomato sauce or ketchup, that could drip onto your clothing. But even the most well-intentioned plans can go awry; maybe your napkin slips off your lap just as a piece of spaghetti falls off your fork, or maybe Mother Nature catches you off guard and gives you your monthly present a day early. When you wear white, you want to make sure you have a back-up plan, so tuck a detergent pen, like Tide to Go, and a tampon into your purse to deal with any issues that come up during the day.
You have a few white pieces that fit and flatter, and your napkin is firmly placed in your lap. So, what do you wear white with? Here are three looks that will take you from lunch with your friends, to your summer internship, to date night in style.
Head-to-toe white was all over the runway for this season, including this chic look from Bottega Veneta. Take a bit of the catwalk onto campus with this casual look. We found this super cute white top with eyelet detailing across the bust at H&M. Paired with beachy white denim shorts, braided sandals, and stunning turquoise and gold earrings, this look proves that casual doesn’t have to be sloppy.
Dress ($98) Adrianna Papell. Blazer ($83) ASOS. Pumps ($50) Michael Antonio. Earrings ($30) Macy’s.
Unless you intern in an environment with a conservative dress code, such as a law firm, you can most likely get away with a white blazer. These crisp lines on this shrunken white blazer make this a stunning choice for interns. Toss it on over this cobalt blue sheath dress and add professional accessories, like closed-toe nude pumps and pearl earrings. (The best part? This blazer does double duty – on the weekends, wear it with denim cut-offs and a tee for a laidback look.) For more internship fashion tips for every industry, check out Her Campus’s guide!
If the all-white trend isn’t your style, try adding pops of color to an outfit with a white base. For date night, this pretty crocheted blouse gets a boost with a coral skirt and matching accessories. This method can also help tone down your favorite neons and brights.
Looking for more ways to wear white? One HC writer compiled 20 ways to wear a white tee.
How do you plan on wearing white this summer? Do you like this classic look?