Scrambling for a last-minute Halloween costume with only a white bed sheet at your disposal? You’re in luck, collegiettes! Whether you’re looking to get the look of a Greek goddess or a toga-sporting frat star, a white sheet can become an instant solution for an easy Halloween costume. Here are a few ways to transform your simple bed sheet into an awesome-looking toga.
1. Basic toga
- Take a corner of the sheet in one hand, leaving about 6 to 8 inches to spare. Hold the sheet in front of the top of your right shoulder.
- Drape the sheet across your chest and tuck under your left arm.
- Wrap the sheet around your back. Tuck it under your right arm and once more around the front of your chest.
- After bringing the sheet across your chest, under your left arm the second time and around your back, bring the second corner up over your back. Secure the two ends with a knot.
- Secure the layers tightly with a couple of hidden safety pins inside the toga.
- Add a belt around your waist and rock that toga!
2. Sari-style toga
- Hold the corner of the sheet at hip level at your left side. It should be covering the front of your body, but not the back.
- Wrap the fabric around your back to form a skirt. Wrap until it overlaps the first corner by a few inches.
- Pin it in place with a safety pin.
- Throw the remainder of the sheet over your right shoulder.
3. Greek chiton
- Get a sheet that is the same length as your height and twice the width as your arm span.
- Fold the fabric in half widthwise. When folded in half, the sheet should stretch from fingertip to fingertip.
- Sew a straight line along the open end of the fabric, directly across from the folded edge
- Use safety pins to pin the corners of the top open edge. From there, pin this open upper edge at even intervals of 2 to 3 inches, leaving extra space for your arms and head.
- Slip the chiton over your head and adjust the pins if necessary.
- Tie a cord around your waist and you’re all done!
Follow these steps for 3 different looks — don’t forget to accessorize with some fake vines or gold jewelry!