This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Daily showers have become as common as a morning cup of coffee.  As of July 2021, approximately two-thirds of Americans took a shower once a day, claiming this ritual helped wake them up and wash them off.  However, some experts believe this habit could be worth replacing with something even better: daily baths.  In ancient civilizations, bathing was the primary method for maintaining good hygiene.  Especially in Greece and Rome, bath-time was considered both healthy and therapeutic

Benefits of bathing extend far beyond just cleaning your body.  Bath time can help boost our immune systems, induce sleep, lower sugar levels, improve blood circulation, reduce muscle tension, and calm angry skin.  For an optimal bath time experience, follow these simple steps:

• Always rinse your tub first, especially if you haven’t taken a bath in a while.
  • Fill your tub with warm water that is between 85-95 degrees Fahrenheit.  This temperature range encourages some sweating which helps release toxins from your skin. 
  • Sit in the water for 15-30 minutes. Consider spicing up your experience with some delightful bath bombs, bubble bars, or bath oils from Lush.  Other ways to enhance bath time include face masks, candles, music, and a glass of wine.
  • Towards the end, wash your hair and your body, and rinse off the soap in the fragrant water.  Some prefer to rinse off with a shower immediately following their bath.
  • Pat your skin dry.  This helps trap some moisture in your skin, which is especially helpful during the winter months.  Apply your favorite lotion, moisturizer, and/or body butter for additional moisture and good vibes.

Sylvia Plath once said, “there must be quite a few things that a hot bath won’t cure, but I don’t know many of them.”  Happy bathing!

Hannah Shively

Youngstown '22

Hannah Shively is a senior pursuing her bachelor's degree in instrumental music education from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University. She's very passionate about a lot of things: Jesus, music, coffee, fruit snacks, dogs, the cello, and being barefoot. She adores traveling, especially to the beach. You can often find her hanging out with friends, making music, eating delicious food, and going on new adventures.