This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

“You only have 86,400 seconds in a day; do not waste them.”  This anonymous quote shapes and influences my everyday life.  While I often find it challenging to stop and smell the roses, I still try my best to find beauty in everything and rejoice in all circumstances.  I have known my entire life that music was what I was born to do.  Ever since this discovery, I’ve allowed it to permeate every aspect of my life.  I can’t go a day without creating or listening to music.  I can hardly articulate that there is simply nothing else I’d rather do than make and teach music for the rest of my life.   

Throughout the process of choosing a music school, I recall numerous people questioned my future plans with “Why Youngstown?” or “Why Music Education?” I made an immediate connection with the orchestra director and cello professor here at the Dana School of Music and instantly felt like I would fit in with their culture.  I am an extrovert and a people-person.  I have always felt an inexplicable, intrinsic joy associated with teaching people new things.  Little compares to witnessing a student discover something cool or learn a new concept.  Making music all day long is a blast and a dream.  Nothing can beat the power of arts education and its profound impact on the brain.  I remember loving music class more than anything in grade school and recall being equally as giddy about rehearsals and performances throughout middle and high school. 

Even though I am a novice in my career, I have invested in advocating for the benefits of music education and know I’ll continue to defend the value of this field as long as I live.  Since Common Core and “teaching to the test” pervade the framework of our current educational ideology, and support and funding for extracurriculars is mostly dominated by athletics, the fields of art and music often sit “low on the totem pole.”  Several years ago, I conducted an interdisciplinary research project for English and Biology regarding the value of music education on students around the world.  Over the course of three months, I read dozens of books and interviewed several musicologists about the profound impact of music on the brain.  Benefits include but are not limited to increased cognitive motion/function, better emotional development, better pattern recognition, and improved language and reasoning.  Research goes on to show that students’ interactions with one another improve due to connecting through music courses and ensembles.   

Music education also benefits people beyond individual experiences and impacts families, districts, and communities as a whole.  Family lives can be enhanced by the connection that music brings from listening to and creating it with one another.  School districts often see a rise in standardized test scores with increased student participation in music.  When communities embrace and celebrate diversity through food, dance, art, and music, cultural divides begin to dissipate and respect, appreciation and admiration grow.  The list of benefits of music education continues to grow over time as studies provide more evidence.  The real question should be “Why shouldn’t people teach music?”

Hannah Shively

Youngstown '22

Hannah Shively is a senior pursuing her bachelor's degree in instrumental music education from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University. She's very passionate about a lot of things: Jesus, music, coffee, fruit snacks, dogs, the cello, and being barefoot. She adores traveling, especially to the beach. You can often find her hanging out with friends, making music, eating delicious food, and going on new adventures.