Many people wonder if they should join Greek Life when they enter into university. I want to share my reasons why I joined, and my experience thus far. Hopefully this will help others come to a decision, or even go through a recruitment process, whether formal or informal.
To start off I joined a sorority on my college campus in 2018, but dropped. THIS HAPPENS! For personal reasons, and educational ones, I didn’t go back into Greek Life. However, recently I joined a different sorority on my college campus and it was one of the greatest decisions of my life! I found my forever family and I couldn’t be happier.
- I wanted to give back to my community and others. Philanthropy is a big way to do this. There are so many Greek Life groups and they each contribute to different organisations. You get to learn so much, and advocate for others. Creating a bigger voice so they can be heard.
- Finding friendships in people who share my values, whether personally or for all of humanity. Gaining more perspectives on school, life and then some. Sisterhood was a big reason why I joined because I was looking for people who i could call my sisters and I did – I found the bridesmaids for my future wedding.
- It is a stigma that sororities and fraternities don’t care about grades and education. I’ve met so many people who aspire to receive a good education, just as everyone else on campus – thy just happen to be apart of Greek Life. I feel constantly inspired by my members to study and learn; I feel motivated to be a better, more knowledgeable version of myself.
- Getting involved on campus
- This reason isn’t just for Greek Life. A lot of people look for different groups to join when they enter into university and Greek Life is a great way to do that. You are not subjected to just your sorority or fraternity either, you meet so many amazing people and gain relationships that could last a lifetime. If you want to get involved on campus, go to informational meetings and such about Greek Life, meet current members and learn about it.
There are many stigmas about Greek Life in college, but I say see for yourself if it is the right fit. It may not be, AND THATS OKAY – but don’t make this assumption without seeing for yourself. Ask questions and meet people, you just might find your forever home like I did.