This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Do you have a special occasion with someone coming up, and you have no idea what to get/do? Same. Luckily some Pinterest and TikTok helped me out. My four-year anniversary with my boyfriend is coming up, and I’m pretty sure I’ve exhausted all of the homemade gifts, but if you haven’t, here are some ideas!

An Explosion Box

A warning ahead of time: this is very time-consuming and can get expensive. You will need lots of crafting materials such as scissors, glue, double-sided tape, construction paper/poster paper, pictures, and more. All you have to do is look up “Explosion Box” on Youtube and you’ll be set. At the end of your project, you’ll have a cute little box that when you take the lid off, the box “explodes” open (the sides drop down and a whole bunch of stuff comes out) and your person gets a box full of pictures and memories. They will love it, and it shows dedication and commitment.

“Reasons why I love you” Gift

You can do this any way that you want, but basically think up as many ways that you love/appreciate the person that you are giving the gift to. Write them down, put them in some sort of container, decorate it a bit, and you’re done! A super easy gift that is very sentimental. I did 100 reasons why and wrote them on little notecards, made 100 little envelopes, and then put those in a gift box that I wrote on with a paint pen and decorated. You can also throw in some small gifts in there if you want.

A journal

This one is super easy if you remember to keep up with it. All you have to do is get a journal and write about each day that you spend together. That way you have documentation of all that you did, and when they get that gift, they can relive each happy day. Just don’t forget to write in it for a few days, because then it becomes hard to catch up.

Cooking them a meal/dessert

If your person loves food, and you don’t normally cook for them, then this is perfect. Instead of going out to eat, stay in and try your hand at cooking their favorite foods, or make them a desert.

List of anniversary gits

If this is an anniversary, there is a list of things that are usually given for each anniversary. For example, for four years the gifts include fruit and appliances. Very random I know, but it can at least spark some ideas.

A punny gift

These kind of remind me of dance proposals that are done in high school but are still inexpensive and cute. These are things like getting a dozen of donuts and writing something punny with “donut” in it or buying lotto tickets and writing “I won the lottery with you” or something like that. Those are a few examples and I’m sure there are more.

Something to do together

This is what I am doing this year. We both like to play games online/on the switch, and a new game just came out that we both want so I am going to buy it for him (it will be his game that he can play on his own), but we can play the two-player version together. Another thing, a lot more expensive, is buying one year’s worth of dates or activities for each month, such as gift cards to restaurants, or certificates to do something fun (we like to golf together), and set them up in a cute arrangement, so altogether there are 12 items.

Hopefully from this list, you are able to pick something that you will want to do, but if not there is always Pinterest!

Chloe Simmerman

Youngstown '23

I am a Junior at Youngstown State University Majoring in Nursing. I am the Senior Editor for my chapter.