This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Recently I took a trip to Summerville, South Carolina, and here are some things to know before travel and where to go. When planning to go there, it was a ten-hour drive, but realistically it was a twelve-hour drive. On the way there you have to figure in at least two or three stops for gas, and maybe include a food stop for snacks and whatnot. Traveling during the holiday also added at least an hour due to traffic. I would also recommend looking at the weather two days prior, it get the most recent updates about the weather. When I looked at the forecast a week before – it said clear and sunny; two days before, it showed storms and colder weather.

Places to travel are limitless down there. I personally travel to Charleston’s downtown area. Here you will find everything from H&M to Gucci; the shopping can range from high end to your regular everyday shopping – the black Friday deals were wonderful. Along with the shopping they have a “market” which is similar to a maker’s market, and you can find anything from handmade jewelry to spices and seasonings. We also took a carriage ride around the city, which I think should be on a top ten list of things to do when visiting! In Cane Bay, there is a store called ‘Princess Nails’ which is worth the drive and money. There are also miles of paved bike trails where you can move city to city and not need to use your car.

The food options are also limitless. They have a wide variety fitting for everyone. Two places I must recommend are Fuji Sushi, and El Jefe Texican Cantina. Fuji Sushi provides you with authentic sushi and other foods from Asian cultures. I had a ramen bowl, and no not your average cup of ramen. This bowl had bean sprouts, strings of crab meat, hard boiled eggs, green onions and many more ingredients. I also had the pork dumplings and a few sushi rolls. I would recommend their seasonal Christmas roll which includes fried shrimp, spicy mayo, rice, seaweed wrap, avocados, and cucumbers. I would also recommend the surf and turf roll and while these rolls were in the higher price range (between $14 to $17), they were very filling and worth it. The Texican restaurant offered a wide variety of Mexican food. I ordered rib-eye and chicken tacos in a Texican style, corn, Pico de Gallo, sour cream, and a lime – but you could order it two other ways. They also had a mechanical bull you can ride – which is harder than it looks, and lots of music!

While you might need to save up before taking a trip here, I think it’s a wonderful place to vacation or live. With lots of day activities and a booming night life, it is perfect for people of all ages! Summerville and Charleston have endless things to offer, including the wonderful weather and shopping. So the next time you want to vacation, I would take a look at it.

Ashley James

Youngstown '26

I'm Ashley and I am a sophomore at Youngstown State University. I'm a nursing major and a sorority member of AOII. I love adventuring outdoors and traveling all over the USA to go hiking!