The Top Five Halloween Movies for the Scaredy-Cat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Spooky season is upon us and that means it’s time to watch some spooky movies. If you’re anything like me, you’ll be avoiding the horror movies this fall and focusing on more family-friendly movies to put you in the Halloween spirit. Here is a list of my top five Halloween movies.

Halloweentown

There’s something about Halloweentown that is just so nostalgic. From the music to the decor in the movie, it really gives the perfect Halloween vibe. Halloweentown is the story of a young girl named Marnie who goes to visit her grandmother with her family. While visiting, the kids come to find out that their grandmother is actually a witch, and Marnie herself is a witch too. Shortly after discovering this, Marnie has to help her grandmother fight evil forces from Halloweentown that are threatening to take over the entire world.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

I know that “Christmas” is right in the name of this movie, but it is not purely a Christmas movie. The Nightmare Before Christmas is the story of Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King. One day, he wanders out of his little Halloweentown into Christmastown. He is fascinated with the idea of Christmas and becomes obsessed with sharing it with his spooky friends. Upon returning to Halloweentown, he and his friends plan on making this year’s Christmas one to remember.

Beetlejuice

When a married couple dies in a car accident, they discover that they are stuck haunting the living world. A new family moves into their home, and they try multiple ways to get them out. All of the haunting activity attracts a mischievous spirit named Beetlejuice, who tries to trick the living family’s daughter, Lydia, into releasing him into the living world. However, things quickly go wrong, and Lydia and the ghosts find themselves in danger.

Corpse Bride

The Corpse Bride is the second film on this list that is a Tim Burton film – can you tell I’m a fan? This movie came out in 2005 and I’ve watched it around Halloween every year since. A young man named Victor is practicing his lines for his upcoming wedding out in the forest, but while he’s doing so, he accidentally gets married to an undead bride, ending up in the world of the dead himself. On his quest to return to the living world and his fiancé, he discovers that maybe the undead aren’t as scary as he thought.

It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Since 1966, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown has been a classic film enjoyed by families each fall. The movie follows Charlie Brown and friends as they celebrate Halloween, while Linus waits in the pumpkin patch for the infamous Great Pumpkin to appear.

Rachel is a senior at Youngstown State University, majoring in Marketing with a minor in Advertising & PR. She was the founder of the Youngstown chapter of Her Campus and served as Campus Correspondent/President for 2.5 years. She now serves as the Campus Outreach Chair. She is also sister of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, where she serves as the Vice President of Programming. She is passionate about content creation and leaving a legacy in the organizations she is a part of. In her free time she enjoys traveling, spending time with friends, family, and her boyfriend, and shopping.