This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

“Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate . . .”

55 seconds over the course of eleven total appearances. That’s the total time Taylor Swift’s image was shown during CBS’s broadcast of the recent Super Bowl LVIII according to USA Today. To put that into a stronger perspective, the global superstar’s screen time took up less than 0.004 percent of the event’s overall duration, less than half of a single percent.

In the midst of presenting an international tour, rerecording her music, winning a Grammy, and announcing a brand new album, the Pennsylvania native has managed to support the successful endeavors of her new boyfriend, Travis Kelce, tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs and two time Super Bowl champion. The recent “big game” marked her thirteenth appearance this season and celebrated the red and gold team’s success as they beat the San Francisco 49ers (25-22) in an impressive overtime performance (occurring just hours after Taylor’s final Eras Tour performance in Tokyo). Succeeding Taylor’s presence in the world of NFL and her relationship with the talented football star, her fans began showing interest in the sport and attending games in the hope to catch a glimpse of their favorite artist.

Like a lot other of A-List celebrities and regular fans, Swift enjoyed the event in the company of her friends and family, drinking alcohol and cheering for her team. Often pictured with the singer were Kelce’s brother and sister-in-law, Jason and Kylie, as well as her friends, Ice Spice and Blake Lively. Similar to the styles of other NFL wives and girlfriends (WAGs), Taylor’s fantastic fashion was noted, including crystal-slit jeans, ruby accessories, and lots #87 gear to support her favorite player.

Yet some people, particularly the National Football League’s traditional adult male fanbase, have complained that the icon’s recent presence at Kansas City Chief’s games is ruining the professional sport. Her newfound support of the Chiefs and unofficial endorsement of the NFL has sparked loud objections from football fans who don’t enjoy her music and recent global success. Across a multitude of social media platforms, fans voiced their discontent that broadcasters showed “too much Taylor” and that “the whole relationship is a marketing ploy.” While dads, husbands, and boyfriends alike loudly complain about her presence in the world of football, the rest of society saw this. Boisterous men protesting a successful woman supporting her successful partner. An isolated and inclusive fanbase that objects to the presence of girls and women. Society’s rejection of a couple that supports and praises the unique talent of one another.

All romantic couples struggle to find activities to do together. Even the healthiest father and daughter relationships experience distance as a young girl leaves adolescence and enters the adult world. Yet this widespread response to a successful, female singer attending professional football games and her fans impact on the sport simply dismisses the issues above. In a touching Superbowl commercial produced by Cetaphil, the possibilities of accepting this different NFL fanbase are illustrated. A once distant father and daughter reestablishing their bond through the combination of football and Taylor Swift.

While this new Taylor-crazed reality may not have been on everyone’s 2023 or 2024 bingo cards, now is the time to revaluate its true meaning. So shake it off and get with the times.

Maggie Byers

Youngstown '26

Maggie Byers is a second-year member of the Her Campus chapter at Youngstown State University. She writes about holiday trends, relationships, and entertainment (ranging from Taylor Swift to Harry Potter). Maggie is a campus employee and majors in Public and Professional Writing. When she’s not busy working or writing, she loves reading romance novels, listening to Broadway music, and exclusively wearing silver jewelry.