This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Growing up have you ever heard from grandparents or even your parents about how they think you are going to change the world one day and they tell you that your future is so bright? I never realized the high amount of pressure behind these words until I got older. 

Sophomore year of high school is when they really started shoving possible careers, colleges, and even military branches to be thinking about. I took my first ACT that year too. I was hardly able to drive; how was I expected to pick my career at this time?

By senior year I was set on a college and career choice, and I am nowhere near that right now as I close out my junior year of college. I am at a completely different college, and completing a different major and guess what… I still do not know what I want to do in life! That used to be quite scary, not knowing what I am going to do career wise for the rest of my life.

I am constantly looking into what my options are with the degree I am getting, and what is it that truly interests me. What do I want to do for the rest of my life? I honestly do not know if I will ever truly figure that one out. There are too many possibilities and careers I would love to do, but I can’t do them all. I have gotten to the point where I am content though.

I know I do not have my career figured out, but I’m not worried anymore. I found peace in knowing that the right career will come to me at the right time in my life. Everything works out in the end, and I know as long as I keep researching and persevering in this degree, the right career will find me. So, take peace in knowing that you won’t always have it figured out in life and you won’t always know what you want to be in life – and that is okay!

Madison Cauffield

Youngstown '24

I'm a Junior at YSU majoring in Criminal Justice on the law enforcement track, and I'm a member of Alpha Omicron Pi.