This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

I know, no one wants to read another article about bad things going in the world. I totally get it. However, there are a multitude of issues that our brothers and sisters around the world are battling every single day, and their stories are failing to be reported on because the global pandemic has taken over all mass media platforms. While it’s understandable for the media to be reporting on current events, these issues (amongst several others) are important as well, and deserve some screen time. Underneath each title, I’ve included a brief summary and links to read up on these issues. Please pray for the world. 

1. Severe locust swarms in Africa (Somalia, Ethiopic, Kenya) 

Starting in mid-February, swarms of thousands of crop-destroying insects began to invade Northern Africa. According to journalist Callum Hoare, Egypt and surrounding countries are experiencing the worst plague of locusts in 70 years. This infestation has not only destroyed local agriculture, but it has also inflicted physical harm and overall economic destruction. Some people blame the plague on climate change; others blame it on human sin. Regardless of the cause, this is largely affecting thousands of people and lingers with no solution. 

2. Female injustice in South America 

While Mexico has come a long way in achieving equality between the sexes, women are still struggling to win several rights that they should already have by now. They also experience ridiculous violence. An average of 10 women a day are murdered in Mexico. On AVERAGE. This phenomenon was recently titled “femicide:” the intentional killing of women and girls solely because of their gender. On Monday, March 9th, women organized a mass-protest to raise consciousness for this issue by taking the day off. Thousands led a march down main street. Some spent their vacation day on a trip with girlfriends for the long weekend, while others slept in and gathered for brunch to drink mimosas. The goal is that the commitment to women drastically changes.  

3. Tennessee Rebuilding 

People in Tennessee are still in the process of rebuilding both their homes and their lives after 10 tornadoes struck Kentucky and Tennessee during the first week of March. The majority of these funnels ranked pretty low; however, the one to hit Nashville reached the qualifications of an EF3 and another in Cookeville was an EF4. These massive storms unfortunately took the lives of 26 people and injured over 300. (Another sad thought to consider: how does one self-quarantine without a house?) 

Other severe natural disasters include the [almost finally contained] wildfires in Australia from earlier this winter, the earthquake in Salt Lake City, Utah on March 18t​h​, and the tornadoes in Mississippi and Alabama on March 23rd. Other recent global news includes the massive torching of homes in Bali, the scandal of South Korea’s online sexual blackmail ring, and the arming of civilians in Burkina Faso to fight terrorist groups. 

In the midst of our own pain and frustrations during this pandemic, take time to think of other people around the world who are struggling with these issues that are far greater than a virus. Don’t forget to take time to give thanks and express gratitude to the people around you. Be kind to yourselves and to one another. 

Hannah Shively

Youngstown '22

Hannah Shively is a senior pursuing her bachelor's degree in instrumental music education from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University. She's very passionate about a lot of things: Jesus, music, coffee, fruit snacks, dogs, the cello, and being barefoot. She adores traveling, especially to the beach. You can often find her hanging out with friends, making music, eating delicious food, and going on new adventures.