The menstrual cup made me forget that I was actually on my period

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

As a young girl in swimming, there really was no other choice than to learn how to use period products fast because it was just not an option to skip practice and meets 5 days each month. I have also always been a very busy person and I tended to keep the tampon up there for too long witch made me stress about getting infections. Plus, it’s just not the most fun in the world to switch tampons 3- 4 times over the day. I was also experiencing a lot of dryness because the tampon absorbed all my natural moisture.

I was giving up on this but then I remembered something from when I was a kid. My mom had shown me her little oddly looking menstrual cup that she kept in a small flower-patterned bag. Back then, it looked kind of frightening to me. I thought it must be so messy and definitely not my cup of tea!

But I also remembered her glorifying this amazing invention; there must have been a good reason why she loved it so much. I was so curious that I had to try it out and I got my own cup from the Fun Cup. In fact, I got two, one of them is a little bigger than the other and is for the heavier days… I have been using them for about two years now and having my period has never been easier.

Here are eight facts about the menstrual cup:

It’s made of medical-grade silicone 

The chance of getting an infection is very, very low because it won’t trap bacteria over time. That means you can wear it for up to 8-12 hours. A good tip is to boil the cup after you finish your period. That way you completely sterilize it and it’s ready to be used again for the next month.

You are saving the planet

According to Organi cup the average user throws away an astonishing 275 to 330 pounds of tampons, pads, and applicators in their lifetime. 90% of period products are made of plastic and most of it ends up in the ocean. By making a one-time investment you are having minimal impact on the environment. The best thing is that the cup is reusable and will last you for years.

You are free 

Because with the menstrual cup you can do whatever you want and whenever you want. Want to go swimming? No problem! Because of the seal that the cup makes all kinds of exercise are problem-free. Nothing is going to move, not even when you go to the toilet.

Public bathrooms – No problemo 

If you are using a public bathroom it’s totally fine to just use toilet paper to clean the cup if you are about to put it back in.

No smell 

Period blood only starts to odor when exposed to air, which means you don’t have to worry about the smell when using the cup.

You save money

The average user spends about $100 each year on period products. By investing in one $20-$40 menstrual cup that will last for years, you will save at least $70 each year. Multiply that number until you are in your 40’s… that’s a big number right there.  

You get to know your body better

I have now got the chance of getting to know my body better for example I can see right in front of me how much blood comes out depending on how many days it’s been on my period. Even though most of us would rather skip having to deal with the period, we can’t deny that it’s pretty cool to have an organ that is able to follow complicated directions from hormones to do its duty and squeeze blood out of the body.

You might not get it perfectly on the first try 

It’s normal that the first few tries with the cup are not successful. Just remember to breathe and relax. If it not going well as you wanted, take a break, think about something else, and come back to it later

For those who are not familiar with how to use the menstrual cup, there are 3 easy steps to follow: 

Step 1: Insert.

Fold the cup to insert it into your vagina. A good tip: If you are very dry, a few drops of lube might help you to insert. When it’s up simply let go and it pops open. A good tip for placing it right is to move it around with your fingers to create a seal.

Step 2: Remove.

To take it out nicely, pinch the cup lightly to break the suction and pull it out. 

Step 3: Clean.

Empty the cup to the toilet, then wash it with warm water and mild soap. Put the cup back in or store it in the bag that comes with it.

There’s always room to try something new. Be brave enough to take the first step and it might take some practice, but I promise you it’s worth it.

References:

https://www.mochni.com/the-menstrual-cup-changed-my-life-here-are-10-rea…

https://www.organicup.com/environmental-reasons-to-switch/ 

https://thefuncup.com/en/faq/ 

A girl from Iceland, Studying journalism at Youngstown State University. I’m also on the YSU swimming team. Hope my articles can give you some new ideas and make your life easier. It´s a pleasure to share my mind with Her Campus readers!