This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

With many universities having virtual classes, it’s going to be a challenge to meet new people and make new friends this semester. Luckily, there are a few ways to make it happen! If you’re looking to meet some new people, check this out.

Pay attention to the names of your classmates. If you see a name you recognize in a couple different classes, don’t be afraid to reach out to them! Chances are, if you have a couple classes together, they’ll be excited to hear from you. Send them a private message during your virtual lecture or see if you can find their Instagram and ask them if they want to study with you for the next quiz or be partners for an upcoming project.

Even if you don’t have multiple classes with someone, they still might be interested in having a study buddy! You can meet them for coffee to study together, or if you’re uncomfortable with that, have a zoom study session with a few other people! It’s a good way to stay social and make some friends while staying socially distanced.

If reaching out to someone you have a class with makes you feel uncomfortable, consider joining a student organization. Greek life and clubs are still active, despite having to do many things virtually. There are a number of organizations you can become a part of, so take a look and find one or two that interests you!

Finally, if you’re not into any of the above options, you could try to find a job. If you’re still on campus despite having some virtual classes (like we are here at YSU), you can try to find an on-campus job to meet other students. It’s very easy to become friends with co-workers because you spend so much time together.

Just because this semester isn’t going to be normal, doesn’t mean that you can’t still make friends and have a social life! It may take a little more effort, but it’s worth it to put yourself out there and make connections!

Rachel is a senior at Youngstown State University, majoring in Marketing with a minor in Advertising & PR. She was the founder of the Youngstown chapter of Her Campus and served as Campus Correspondent/President for 2.5 years. She now serves as the Campus Outreach Chair. She is also sister of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority, where she serves as the Vice President of Programming. She is passionate about content creation and leaving a legacy in the organizations she is a part of. In her free time she enjoys traveling, spending time with friends, family, and her boyfriend, and shopping.