This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

If you haven’t heard, Sir Zuck and his team have created a new app that is more than just similar to the seasoned bird app, Twitter, and it’s called Threads. I assume the name was inspired from users of Twitter calling their posts ‘threads’ when they had something lengthy to share and would reply to themselves.

Are they trying to take over the leisure chatting feature that Twitter has held the crown for after all these years? I would say yes. The real question however, is will they succeed?

With Threads being sparkling new, who’s to say how successful it will be, but it is looking promising. The praise has outweighed the complaints thus far, with the majority opposition being there is no “following only” feature as in the homepage is EVERYONE WHO HAS AN ACCOUNT and not just those who you follow.

The positive words shared though is how people are already feeling comfortable and I think I know why.

I share this viewpoint and it’s not only because I do have a Twitter, so this app isn’t anything “new” per say, but it does feel like the old Twitter.

Those days when it was just a public diary, or you were just chatting with your friends – sharing your day just because you could. Threads has brought back that feeling, and with it being Instagram’s sister app – it’s easy to navigate between the two as well.

I don’t know how successful this app will be in the long run, but I’m excited to see where it goes.

Update [07-06-23 6:39pm]: Twitter is threatening to sue Meta for the launch of their new app, assumably for the similarities. You can see more information here.

Camden Spann

Youngstown '24

I am a Senior at Youngstown State University achieving a degree in Merchandising: Fashion & Interiors with a double minor in Journalism and Creative Writing.