This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

A dear friend of mine once said “we take photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone.”  Pictures can serve as beautiful snapshots in time to help us remember life’s best moments.  While some images are originally snapped candidly with a phone or digital camera, others find their origins from a formal photoshoot.  People host photoshoots for a variety of reasons: to help with marketing, to create advertisements, to celebrate milestones, to give as gifts, and more.  Photoshoots are an incredibly fun activity, but they can be equally as nerve-wracking and stressful.  The more you prepare, the more comfortable you may be throughout the whole experience.  Here are some tips to help you get organized:

Look up ideas:  Before you even open your wardrobe drawer or closet door, consult Pinterest and do some research.  Start a board to hold all your photoshoot ideas of outfits, locations, and poses.  Stay in touch with your photographer and don’t be shy to share your favorite ideas with them!

Go through your entire wardrobe:  Yes, seriously: the entire thing.  It’s important to take stock of all your inventory to determine what your favorite items are.  Additionally, you may re-discover some gems that you completely forgot about.  Try everything on, then organize each item into three piles: keep, sell, and donate.  From there, select 2-5 outfits as options.

Plan out your accessories:  Once you’ve picked out your favorite outfits, piece them together on separate hangers.  Hang them up around your room or on your door frame so you can review the entire outfit and select the best accessories to match including jewelry, shoes, hats, and purses.  Don’t forget to think about props, as well!  Feel free to take your guitar or tennis racket or stethoscope to highlight your passions and interests. 

Pack it all up:  Get out some backpacks, duffels, and suitcases to find the perfect size for everything.  Think about where you’re going for the shoot, as well.  If you’ll be on the road for an outdoor shoot, try to take a backpack for easy outfit and jewelry changes.  If you’re inside and have a staging area for your items, pack a few hangers to hang up the next outfit.  Before you leave, make sure every piece is securely packed into appropriate luggage.  If you have a dress or shirt that wrinkles easily, consider carrying it in a garment bag.

Pamper yourself:  Do a face mask and take a bubble bath the day before.  Wash your face completely, shave (or don’t – no judgment here!), wash and dry your hair, and moisturize everything.  Take good care of your skin and body to help prepare your natural glow for the next day.  Don’t forget to plan ahead if you’re looking to get your hair or nails done!

Create a day-of gameplan: Talk with your photographer and get to know them well before they start snapping pictures.  Discuss your ideas and outfit changes with them so you have a plan before you get started.  Scope out the area and find your favorite spots.  Brainstorm fun poses together.  Plans made in advance help ensure an efficient shoot.

Smile and breathe:  Last but not least, have a good time!  You’ll be a natural.  Open yourself up to be surprised by joy and just work it, girl.  Don’t be afraid to laugh, smile, dance, and sing.

Hannah Shively

Youngstown '22

Hannah Shively is a senior pursuing her bachelor's degree in instrumental music education from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University. She's very passionate about a lot of things: Jesus, music, coffee, fruit snacks, dogs, the cello, and being barefoot. She adores traveling, especially to the beach. You can often find her hanging out with friends, making music, eating delicious food, and going on new adventures.