This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

First launched in September of 2005, the popular show, ‘How I Met Your Mother‘, has become a classic. The American sitcom, created by Craig Thomas and Carter Bays for CBS, follows the main character, Ted Mosby, and his tight-knit group of friends in New York City’s Manhattan. Since its premiere, HIMYM has captured the hearts of its many fans through the relatability, ridiculous scenarios, situational irony, and Ted’s search for love.

However, if you’re a HIMYM fan and you love the series as much as I do, then you’ll be ecstatic to know a spin-off of the series, ‘How I Met Your Father’ will be released as soon as January 18th of 2022. How I met Your Father will be available on Hulu exclusively for streaming, starting with the first two episodes released at once, together, then followed by one episode weekly.

How I Met Your Father will center around the protagonist, Sophie, played by the infamous Hilary Duff, whose last starring on-screen was “The Haunting of Sharon Tate“, back in 2019. The spinoff features Sophie explaining to her son how she met his father. What makes this new take of HIMYM even more interesting, is it will be adapted to the modern technology of the 21st century by including dating apps and new relationship scenarios. As Hulu stated in a recent press statement, the series “catapults us back to the year 2021, where Sophie and her close-knit group of friends are in the midst of figuring out who they are, and what they want out of life and how to fall in love in the age of dating apps and timeless options”.

The cast consists of other favorites besides just former Disney star Hilary Duff. Chris Lowell will be starring as Jesse, Suraj Sharma will be playing as Sid, Grown-ish actress Francis Raisa will play Valentina, and former Nickelodeon star Josh Peck will play as a vice principal in the series. Sex In The City’s Kim Cattrall will be voicing as narrator. With all of these new faces in the spin-off, you may be wondering if any of the former HIMYM cast will be appearing in the show. While this hasn’t been confirmed, some things will be the same. The original creators of How I Met Your Mother, Carter Bays, and Craig Thompson have signed on as producers for How I Met Your Father. Even though it hasn’t been confirmed if any of the originals will be featured at all, Hilary Duff’s statement to SiriusXM gives us some hope. “I don’t want to give it away. It does tie in, and hopefully, we’ll have some fun guest appearances from the original cast”.

HIMYM became a beloved television series, as the characters served to mirror a piece of all of us through their craziness, honesty, and flat-out irony. How I Met Your Mother is a classic sitcom that remains in the hearts of adults today and, as of January 18th of 2022, it’s the same hope that How I Met Your Father will also become just as timeless and relatable.

Saige Kemeny

Youngstown '24

Saige Kemeny is a member of Her Campus and a Sophomore at Youngstown State University. Her major is English with a minor in Psychology. In addition to being a member of Her Campus at YSU, Saige is also a member of Alpha Omicron Pi, Victoria's Secret PINK Street team, and a swimmer for the university's Swimming and Diving team.