animated house with a cat and the sun
animated house with a cat and the sun
Rachel Durniok

How to Combat Serious Cabin Fever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

I know I can’t possibly be the only one who’s bored out of their minds by this point. We’ve all been instructed to shelter-in-place across the nation for an average of 9 weeks, which is ​a long time.​ These crazy corona days are still slugging along. I feel just as angsty as you do to get out and do something, but we seriously need to stay home and wait this thing out. However, it’s important that we engage in activities that promote kindness, positivity, and well-being. Note that well-being ​isn’t ​just a physical thing; it contains mental, emotional, spiritual, social, and financial aspects as well.

Since our spring semester is almost finished, we’ll be left with a lot more time on our hands in a few weeks (and potentially a lot more time to be bored). We can choose to greet this down-time with productivity or relaxation; the choice is yours! Whatever you choose, here are ten ways to fill these idle times and restore your soul to help combat serious cabin fever.

Take a bath.

Bath-time has been scientifically proven to improve muscle function, reduce stress, and promote better sleep. Supplement your cleaning regimen with a bath bomb and/or homemade ​bath salts​ for optimal relaxation and good vibes.

Listen.

Turn on some music or a ​podcast​. You have probably already done this, but I mean it: blast some ​jams​ (either out loud or with your earbuds) and listen, head-bang, tap your foot, dance; let your body and your soul be moved by the sounds. Feel free to even grab an instrument and ​join in​!

Nap.

Create a restful environment in a quiet, dark place without distractions. It’s best to rest for a short period of time before 3 pm to not interfere with a good nights’ sleep. Make sure to sleep at least eight hours a night!

Go outside.

The options of activities to enjoy outside are endless! Watch the clouds (or the stars), sit in the grass, fly a kite, take a walk (or walk your dog!), go for a run, ride your bike, or climb a tree. Enjoy being out in creation, and breath in some fresh air that does not have a temperature regulated by a heater or air conditioner.

Learn.

This is the time to start doing that one (or those three…) new things that you’ve always wanted to get to but consistently push off til every January 1s​t​. ​Learn calligraphy​, practice the piano or guitar, ​paint a portrait​, become a professional chef. Maybe you’re interested in learning about history or the weather…research until your heart’s content!

Write.

You can write anything! Turn off your electronics and get out a real piece of paper and pen. Write a poem or a full out book. Journal your thoughts a couple times a day during these crazy times. Write your friends a handwritten letter of encouragement.

Read.

There’s a crap ton of good stuff out there. Pick up that ​book​ your friends keep recommending that you’ve never had time for. Purchase a ​subscription​ to The Epoch Times and receive an unbiased opinion of today’s current events. Log-into your old Wattpad account (I know you have one…) and check out some stories and fan-fictions by fellow young adults.

Watch.

Sure, you’ve binge-watched Tiger King and Black Mirror, but try something different! Find a new show or movie and check it out. Ask friends and family for good suggestions. And if you don’t have it yet, try out Disney+.

Drive.

Wait for a warmer, sun-shiny day, then grab your keys and be on your way! Roll all your windows down and blast your favorite ​album​. Find the nearest highway or vacant country roads and enjoy the liberty!

Exercise.

Being active does a multitude of great things for your body – even if it’s only for a little bit every day. Try some ​yoga​, do some gentle stretches in your backyard, run around your neighborhood, or check out other ​easy​ and accessible home-workout videos on YouTube. Some don’t even require you to get up out of bed!

Hannah Shively

Youngstown '22

Hannah Shively is a senior pursuing her bachelor's degree in instrumental music education from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University. She's very passionate about a lot of things: Jesus, music, coffee, fruit snacks, dogs, the cello, and being barefoot. She adores traveling, especially to the beach. You can often find her hanging out with friends, making music, eating delicious food, and going on new adventures.