Style > Fashion

Fall Closet Staples that you Absolutely Need!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

The beginning of the school year is quickly followed by the season changing to fall. With fashion trends constantly changing, it is pretty hard to keep your closet up to date. However, there are several pieces that are timeless and a necessity for a fall wardrobe. I have compiled my list of must haves that get me through fall and are actually pieces that I tend to grab year round. 

1. Leather Coat: A leather coat is something that I am constantly incorporating into my fall outfits. The air is a little colder which makes a leather jacket totally appropriate. These are such good layering pieces that can transform your outfit into looking like there was extensive thought and effort put into what you are wearing. A leather coat can easily elevate your outfit while keeping you warm from the fall chill. Leather jackets can get pretty pricey, but there are so many options that one is bound to fit in your price range. If you have a low budget, thrift stores are also a great place to look for your clothes, especially a leather jacket! 
  2. Good Pair of Denim Jeans: A dependable pair of jeans is an essential piece of any fall wardrobe. There are so many different styles and colors to choose from, so you are bound to find something that you like and looks best on your body type. The price of jeans tends to vary greatly, but I have found that typically, you get what you pay for. If you choose to buy a cheaper pair of jeans, they may end up lasting you only a couple years or so. If you have more money to spend upfront, the jeans will likely last you several years and be a better deal in the long run. Either option is fine; the most important thing is that you feel good in them. 
  3. Chunky Boots: Chunky boots have been super fashion forward the past couple of years, and they are not going anywhere. Platform is the new heel! Chunky boots are so versatile, making them a fall must-have. Similar to the jeans, there are so many different styles and colors that you will be able to pick one that suits you best. I currently own 4 different pairs of Dr. Martens, and they are easily the most worn pairs of shoes I own. Not only are they so comfortable, but they also can change the vibe of an outfit. For example, when swapping them out with a pair of sneakers, it can dress the outfit up. Alternatively, if you want to dress down a nicer outfit, you can throw a pair of chunky boots on. While some pairs may be costly, they can be worn during all seasons and tend to last quite a while. 
  4. A Blazer: Oversized blazers are the perfect way to spice up an outfit. They are great layering pieces to add to any look. They are adorable over dresses, with skirts or jeans, and can even be worn on their own as a dress. There’s a good chance you already own a blazer or two from work. If not, they can be found at many different stores at a wide range of prices. 
  5. Thick Sweater: A thick sweater can really add that fall touch to an outfit. Not only is the heavier weight good for keeping you warm when it gets cold outside, but they are also the perfect cozy item to shift your style into fall fashion. Thick sweaters can be worn in a multitude of ways. They can be thrown over a dress or worn as a top with a skirt or pair of jeans or leggings. They are a super cute way to stay warm and begin your transition into fall fashion!
Sammy Dohy

Youngstown '23

I love writing, traveling, and being with my friends!