COVID-19 Roommate Contract Template

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

A lot of us are back on campus this semester, trying to navigate what college life now looks like amidst a pandemic.  Perhaps you and your roommate(s) are on the same page regarding protocols and preventive measures; if that’s the case, congratulations!  However, some may be struggling with shared housing during these bizarre times.  One of the best ways to align morals, ideas, and rules with others is through a contract.  Whether formal or informal, a written document keeps a record of a commitment to one another.  These can also help prevent future conflict, especially in times such as these where tensions are high and infections are rising.  If you’re considering a roommate contract, here is an outline of ideas:

General

I will wear a mask anytime I am outside of our dorm/apartment.

I will clean up shared spaces (living room, kitchen, and bathroom) after each use.

I will wipe down surfaces often.

I will hand-wash my personal cutlery and mugs when dirty.

I will dispose of my own trash.

I will not share makeup or toiletries without permission.

Kitchen (if applicable)

I will stay out of the kitchen if someone is already in there.

I will not share drinks with any of my roommates or guests.

I will not use supplies or cutlery that is not mine without permission.

I will clean up after I cook.

Guest Policy

I will not have more than 2 guests over at one time.

I will check the temperature of my guests and monitor all their symptoms.

I will keep my guests in my room/my half of the room.

I will only let my guest touch my belongings.

I will disinfect any areas/surfaces that were touched or used by my guest.

Specifics

If one of us gets sick, we will notify one another and quarantine immediately. We will determine if the exhibited symptoms are those of the coronavirus and take necessary action.  If one of us tests positive, we will keep the infected confined to their room/half of the room and designate a bathroom for their use.  They will not be allowed in the common spaces (living room, kitchen, etc.) without their mask on.  It will be their responsibility to clean all surfaces they touch and any shared amenities they use.

Your contract doesn’t have to look exactly like this but consider the above contents as a starting point.  Make sure all parties agree to all the protocols you mutually set.  Emphasize that this contract is for the safety and health of one another.  Before dispersing, have everyone sign and date the document.  Feel free to return to the agreement whenever necessary!  Stay safe, happy, and healthy.

Hannah Shively

Youngstown '22

Hannah Shively is a senior pursuing her bachelor's degree in instrumental music education from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University. She's very passionate about a lot of things: Jesus, music, coffee, fruit snacks, dogs, the cello, and being barefoot. She adores traveling, especially to the beach. You can often find her hanging out with friends, making music, eating delicious food, and going on new adventures.