This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Happy New Year!  Can you believe it’s already 2022?  Neither can Taylor Swift!  To help usher in 2022 and the newness that it brings, here are six make-up resolutions that will change your life and your face.

1. To start, consider purging your entire make-up and beauty collection.  Check expiration dates on every single product.  If you cannot locate an expiration date, reflect on how long you’ve had the item and whether or not it’s still safe to use.  A quick guide for normal shelf-life says 3 months for mascara, 3 months for liquid eyeliner, 6-12 months for concealer, one year for foundation, and one year for lip gloss.
  2. Learn what your winter and summer shades are.  As seasons change, so do our skin tones.  Over the course of this year, plan to make two trips to Ulta or Sephora: once during mid-January, and another during mid-June.  Ask a beauty expert to help you shade match foundations, concealers, and/or creams for both seasons, and write down their shade recommendations.  Note that your shades may change from year to year, so don’t stock up on a bunch of products too early.
  3. Replace your mascara once every 3 months.  According to the Scottsdale Spa, 75% of women don’t replace their mascara within 3 months.  Neglecting to replace eye make-up products such as mascara, eye shadow, and liquid eyeliner can increase our risk for eye infections and eyelash mites.  Consider adding a reminder to your planner or phone to replace your mascara.  Also, don’t share your mascara with anyone.  I’m serious.
  4. Wash your brushes every 1-2 weeks.  Cleaning make-up brushes and applicators every few weeks is essential for a multitude of reasons: to prevent breakouts, to reduce skin irritations, and to increase brush longevity.  Don’t forget to clean your beauty blender, as well!
  5. Cleanse your face every morning and evening.  Grab your favorite cleanser and cleanse those pores.  It’s crucial to wash our faces twice a day to thoroughly remove all dust, dirt, and excess oil.  Other benefits from regularly cleansing our face include radiance, anti-aging, and hydration.  Even on those late nights, make sure to take the extra few minutes to wash off the day.  Your face will thank you the morning after.
  6. Don’t be afraid to go make-up free. It may seem a little daunting at first, but start small by trying a day or a week without wearing any make-up.  For starters, spending less money on make-up saves money for quality skincare products.  During the on-going global pandemic, keeping a fresh face under our masks can help eliminate breakouts and dry skin.
Hannah Shively

Youngstown '22

Hannah Shively is a senior pursuing her bachelor's degree in instrumental music education from the Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University. She's very passionate about a lot of things: Jesus, music, coffee, fruit snacks, dogs, the cello, and being barefoot. She adores traveling, especially to the beach. You can often find her hanging out with friends, making music, eating delicious food, and going on new adventures.