4 Ways to Get Organized for School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Youngstown chapter.

Being organized is always important, more so now than ever! With so much going on in the world, you should always be prepared and also know what’s going on in your own life.

College is already a lot of work, why make it harder – here are some ways to get organized so you can make life a little easier!

Planner/To-Do Lists

I can’t tell you how many times my planner has saved my life. I put all my day-to-day events and schedules in my phone calendar, and even though my phone never leaves my hand – I WILL MISS OUT ON SOMETHING! Not good.

When it comes to school, I want to know when all my assignments are due, so I write them down a thousand times. If you want to go the extra mile like I do, write everything everywhere. I have a handheld planner, a planner app on my phone, my phone calendar, a dry erase board – I included schoolwork, work hours for my job, and Her Campus schedules!

Another tip, the cuter the planner – the better! It may help seeing something you enjoy instead of looking at something boring.

Syllabi FTW

I can’t be the only one who threw out all of their syllabi the first day of high school. College is different! Things can always come up, but it is an AMAZING reference for what you need to do for the semester. From assignments and book requirements to class policy, the syllabi should be your best friend… well besides the barista at your favorite coffee place.

Highlighters Galore

Another thing that saved me is color coding everything I do. Different colors for classes, work, personal – all of it. Even if you can’t always remember which color means what, it helps separating what you write, locating something important and it’s cute!

Take a Step Back

Sometimes you have to take a step back to gather yourself. It doesn’t help if you’re stressed or can’t get your thoughts straight. Take a breath and talk yourself through it – through the day, the week, whatever it is. Make sure you have everything you need for whatever you have to do and do not rush. Take your time!

Camden Spann

Youngstown '24

I am a Senior at Youngstown State University achieving a degree in Merchandising: Fashion & Interiors with a double minor in Journalism and Creative Writing.