This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York chapter.

The first term always brings with it that ‘student life’ economic pinch. Whether you’re a first year just getting used to the realisation that life may be baked beans on toast for three years, or in your final years, we all need to cut back the costs. Believe it or not, this can include shopping and actually feeling good about it! York has many charity shops, but the one that really stands out for it’s quirky vintage section is Sue Ryder.

For once, we actually don’t have to feel guilty for those weekend splurges. Not only is it cheap, you have the piece of mind that your dosh is going to a great cause, girls what could be better? Sue Ryder offers care and assistance for terminally ill people and their families through creating free hospices around the country. The vintage section is it’s unique selling point, all those indie jumpers and floaty blouses we love are suddenly made completely affordable…and you won’t have that awkward clothing clash with someone else in your seminar. You never know what you might find, so a look in is always recommended.

On the other hand, if you’re worried your wardrobe is bursting with last years trends why not donate? It’s the perfect excuse to have an early spring clean and reinvent yourself…whilst feeling good about it. Not only that but why not volunteer? Charity shops are unlikely to turn down a helping hand and collegiette’s, it looks great on CVs too. No matter what your style you’ll be able to find some cheap and original clothes here, so embrace the university lifestyle. Get vintage, get cheap and get shopping! 

If you want to get more information on Sue Ryder click here.