xoxo, Glendon Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Glendon Girl here. As a fourth year student, I’ve learned some things over the years that I haven’t had the opportunity to share with other Glendonites. So today I will share some of tidbits of advice with you because after all, a girl has got to have some secrets. This list is also open to suggestions – tweet me @previlonnn and use the hashtag #GlendonHack to share some of the things you’ve learned while at Glendon!

1. When you are making your class schedule, try to keep your Thursday evenings free and avoid the rare Friday morning classes. Thursdays are basically the end of the week at Glendon (TGIT!), so that’s when everyone casts aside their homework for a night of fun and relaxation. Trust me; you don’t want to be stuck in a class on Thursday evenings from 6-9pm while your friends are getting ready for pubnight without you.

2. Avoid Tim Hortons at peak times (8:30-9:00am, 1:30pm, and 3:00pm). If you wait 10 to 20 minutes after most classes start (9am, 12pm, 3pm), you should find that there is little to no line. Also I find there is a direct positive correlation between the earlier you visit during the day and the availability of the crispy chicken sandwich.

3.

If you’re all about that #ShuttleLife like me here’s a little hack I’ve learned – sit in the seats where the emergency windows are, or the seats directly behind. Why? That’s where the shuttle bus’s heaters are located, so your feet will toasty warm during the 40 minute ride. Whether you choose to spend the duration of the shuttle ride sleeping, listening to a podcast or catching up on readings, you can do so with your own personal foot heater.

4. The basement of the Centre of Excellence is a prime study spot. Here are three reasons why:  a) There is no concept of time in the basement. Without windows, it’s a great location to park yourself, plug in your headphones and churn out an essay. b) The basement of the COE is also a great hangout spot. If you need to work on a group project or hang with your friends (while unsuccessfully attempting to get work done), the basement has tables and chairs you can push together for whatever your group size. C) You might expect the basement to be cold, but it’s actually really warm. In the last two years, really comfy chairs have also been added in case you want to curl up for a power nap.

5.  

The bathroom on the 3rd floor in the Centre of Excellence is the most decent female bathroom – followed by the smaller bathrooms in any part of York Hall – although I am open to hear any other suggestions!

Was that helpful? Do you have any other #GlendonHacks? Let us know!