World Explorer and Language Acquirer: Janine Henry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Name: Janine Henry

Major and Graduating Year: Linguistics, 2017

Hometown: Lucan, Ontario

Hobbies: “My hobbies involve music, writing and language. I enjoy collecting music of various genres from around the world and listening to them. I also like playing the guitar and singing. I find that I write fictional stories every day as well to relax and escape. My most involved Hobby is learning languages. I am presently learning Korean, Chinese and Japanese. In learning languages I watch a lot of tv shows in that language and I hang out with people who speak those languages.”

Favorite courses taken at York so far: “My favourite classes at York so far have been Korean, Chinese, Discourse Analysis and First Language Acquisition. I find language courses very fun, exciting and engaging, and I have had great experiences in my language classes. The two linguistic courses focus on two elements of language that I find very fascinating: how we acquire language and why we speak the way we do.”

Why did you choose York’s linguistics program? “I specifically chose York’s Linguistics program because it is tied with the TESOL Certificate Program, and linguistic courses could count towards the certificate. I thought the joint program was really efficient as I first aspired to become an English as a Second Language teacher.”

What are the benefits you’ve experienced from participating and running a Korean language exchange regularly? “There are so many rewarding benefits from participating in and running a Korean language exchange! Not only am I able to work to achieve my goal in improving my language skills with native Korean speakers, but I am also helping Koreans achieve their goal in mastering English. Through a common goal, similar experiences and interests, we are able to build strong, lasting relationships! This experience has also taught me strategies to teach English that I will definitely carry with me if I decide to become an ESL teacher.”

Would you recommend going on an overseas exchange for students studying linguistics? “Yes and no. At Korea University where I studied, there were so many linguistic courses to choose from that were taught in English, which was awesome and convenient, since I heard that some majors are harder to find classes for abroad. So that was a plus. Unfortunately, I sort of regret studying abroad for studying linguistics because some of their content was too focused on English linguistics while here at York there more of a world-wide view of linguistics. When I came back, I found that I was missing bits and pieces of my education in comparison to everyone else and I had to catch up. If you are going abroad to study, take an intensive language course (I wish I had done that), or take electives. But for language learning and for the general abroad experience, I would definitely recommend going abroad!”

Favorite place to be when not working: “My favourite place to be when not working is either going out to eat food with my friends in a cafe or pub, or writing in my house with music in the background.”

Favorite musician(s) and TV show(s): “I have so many favourite artists! These days I listen to a lot of acoustic, singer/songwriter music like Ed Sheer and Passenger…but I also like an electronic/alternative artist named Troye Sivan. Korean artists I’m into right now are Roy Kim (an acoustic singer/songwriter) and BTS (hip-hop/pop). My favourite Japanese artist is a rock band called One Ok Rock. I don’t really watch a lot of T.V these days honestly…but I enjoy a Korean variety show called Superman Returns.”

Hey! I'm Stephanie Wilcox, and I am a professional writing major here at York U! I spend most of my time playing piano or ukulele and crying over books and boybands. I'm currently studying Korean as an elective, and I hope to do plenty of travelling after I graduate. I believe in fighting for a better, safer, and more equal future, especially through words and writing. This is my third year at York University, and I am thrilled to begin writing with Her Campus this year as a CC and seeing the impact we will be making here!