What to do when your feeling stuck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

When you’re in high school, you’re constantly bombarded with an overwhelming amount of information in every subject imaginable. You’re given the “this won’t fly with university professors” talk over and over again, to the point at which it becomes so ingrained in your young minds. Eventually, your only thought going into your first year of university is concerning the professors and what a huge change that will be. But at the end of the day, when you’re in high school, you’re still sitting in a small classroom with your closest friends and peers, discussing your futures, your aspirations, and your goals with an open mind and full of hope. No one warns you about how lonely and isolating university can be. No one discusses the feelings of insecurity and lack of self worth that develop from watching all your peers, fellow students that were once at the same level as you, move forward in their lives. Watching them make meaningful strides towards their futures, while you’re stuck in the same place, seemingly incapable of moving forward.

This transition from high school to university is a significant milestone in anyone’s life. It marks the beginning of a new chapter, full of opportunities and possibilities, but it can also be a time of uncertainty, fear, and feeling stuck. It’s perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed and unsure of yourself during this time. However, it’s essential to learn how to handle these feelings and overcome them. As my first year at university comes to an end, here are some important tips from what I’ve learned:

1. Ask for Help!

One of the most important things to keep in mind is that you are not alone. Many students go through the same experience as you, feeling lost and unsure of themselves. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your peers, professors, or university resources for support. Talking to others who are going through similar experiences can help you feel less isolated and more connected.

2. Opportunities Offered by Universities

Take advantage of all the opportunities that university offers! Attend events, join clubs, and participate in extracurricular activities. This is an excellent way to meet new people, learn new skills, and gain valuable experiences. It’s also a great way to step out of your comfort zone and challenge yourself.

3. Goals

It’s essential to set realistic expectations for yourself. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself to have everything figured out right away. Take it one day at a time, and be patient with yourself. You are not expected to have all the answers or know exactly what you want to do with your life. It’s okay to explore different options and figure out what works best for you.

4. Self-Care

Another thing to keep in mind is to take care of yourself. It’s easy to get caught up in the stress and pressure of university, but it’s essential to prioritize your mental and physical health. Make sure you are getting enough sleep, eating well, and exercising regularly. Also, don’t forget to take breaks and do things that make you happy and relaxed.

5. Developing Important Skills

One of the most significant challenges in university is the workload. It’s essential to develop good time management skills and study habits. This can help you stay on top of your work, reduce stress, and avoid feeling overwhelmed. Create a schedule and stick to it. Break down large assignments into smaller tasks, and set deadlines for each task. This can help you stay organized and avoid procrastination.

Remember, it’s okay to ask for help when you need it. As I’ve come to learn, university can be challenging, and it’s important to recognize when you need support. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your professors, academic advisors, or counseling services. They are there to help you succeed and overcome any challenges you may face. With these tips, you can overcome feeling stuck and achieve your full potential in university.

First year student at York University majoring in Information Technology.