Wealth, Wisdom, and Womanhood: The Symbolism and Realities of Gifting Gold in South Asian Households

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

A couple weeks back, my mom gifted me a gold chain. She called me to her room and asked if I would want to start wearing the necklace that once used to be hers. Of course, I agreed and let my mom place the chain across my neck and close the clasp. It has not come off since. A couple years ago, my mom gifted my older sister a gold chain and a ring. A few weeks ago, my aunt bought a gold jewelry set to give to her daughters ahead of her wedding next year. 20+ years ago, my grandmother had collected all of her gold jewelry before my parents’ wedding to give to my mom. In a tradition repeated by daughters in households across South Asia, gold jewelry continues to be cherished and handed down from one generation to the next. No matter where you travel in the world, you’ll find South Asian daughters adorning themselves with these timeless pieces. But why does this tradition persist?

The tradition of gifting and passing down gold jewelry in South Asian households is deeply ingrained in the cultural and social fabric of the region. It carries a myriad of meanings, from symbolizing wealth and prosperity to representing wisdom, love, and the essence of womanhood.

1. Wealth and Prosperity: Gold has always been associated with wealth and financial security. In South Asian cultures, gifting gold to daughters and brides-to-be symbolizes the family’s blessings for a prosperous and secure future. It serves as a form of financial insurance, a tangible asset that can be used in times of need, as a foundation for building one’s wealth, or growing a future together with your partner.

2. Wisdom and Inheritance: Gold jewelry is often seen as a form of wisdom passed down from one generation to the next. It is a reminder of the knowledge, values, and traditions upheld by ancestors. When a mother gifts her daughter her gold jewelry, it’s not just about adornment; it’s about passing on the wisdom and heritage of the family. This tradition emphasizes the importance of staying connected to one’s roots and respecting the wisdom of previous generations.

3. Love and Affection: Gold jewelry represents an enduring bond between generations. The act of gifting gold from mother to daughter or from one family member to another is a symbol of love and affection. It signifies the emotional investment in the recipient’s future and wellbeing. The gold piece becomes a tangible reminder of the giver’s love.

4. Womanhood and Identity: In South Asian societies, gold jewelry plays a significant role in defining a woman’s identity and her status within the family and community. It symbolizes her transition into womanhood and her place in the family. Wearing these heirloom pieces is not only an act of adornment but a declaration of her cultural heritage and social standing.

Despite the deep symbolism associated with gifting gold, there are practical aspects that have kept this tradition alive. Gold, historically, has proven to be a stable and enduring form of wealth. In times of economic uncertainty or financial crises, gold can be a valuable resource. Moreover, South Asian gold jewelry is often crafted with intricate designs and artistry, making it a source of aesthetic appreciation and cultural pride. In the modern world, the tradition of gifting gold has also evolved to reflect changing times. While it still embodies the traditional values, it’s not uncommon for families to invest in gold for their daughters as a form of financial security or as a means to support their education and future endeavors.

In conclusion, the tradition of gifting and passing down gold jewelry in South Asian households is a multifaceted practice that blends wealth, wisdom, love, and identity. It continues to thrive, rooted in the cultural values of the region, while also adapting to the needs and aspirations of new generations. As South Asian daughters proudly adorn themselves with these timeless pieces, they carry with them the rich tapestry of their heritage and the enduring legacy of their ancestors.

First year student at York University majoring in Information Technology.