The Ultimate Sorority President Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

Greek life has been a taboo topic for several years. Trust me when I say that it’s not like the movies; there are actually a lot of misconceptions about being in a sorority or fraternity. But I’m here to share my experience, from recruitment period to becoming president! This article is my way of saying thank you to Greek life and my sorority for helping make me the person I am today. During this trying time of COVID-19, my last year in the sorority as an active sister came to an abrupt halt, canceling our last few weeks of fun, but I still have so many great memories that I want to highlight and appreciate today.

Friendship

From the start of my journey to now, thinking about the array of people I have met is amazing. Being close to my sisters and other organizations is something I didn’t expect or really value much at the beginning, but it’s really nice to have familiar and friendly places everywhere. If you have trouble making friends, or don’t know how to start off in university, I strongly urge everyone to see what it’s like, because you never know who you’ll meet or what you will like! The great thing about sorority is that I’ve been able to create really nice bonds with each member over the past three years. Whether big or small, I know we all can rely on each other for whatever. That’s not something that can come by every day, so I cherish that so much, especially in my last year. 

Community

As we know, university can be strange and lonely at times, but through Greek life and working my way up to president, the feeling of home and community began to be like a second family. I love that I am able to socialize with anyone at an event and get to know them better every time I see them. A guaranteed thing about being in a sorority is that you will make a few friends from other sororities and fraternities. I love them just as much as I love my sisters, and we all get to appreciate the value and work that everyone does. Whether it’s planning mixers or organizing meetings, everyone is super valuable! I’m very grateful for this community, it’s unlike any other that I have experienced.

Philanthropy

One of the best things about Greek life that isn’t highlighted as much is the amount of work people put into fundraisers. There are so many valuable charities and so much research work that every organization helps raise money for and spread awareness about it. It’s great to be able to support other organizations’ philanthropies, and there’s at least one to go to every week. It feels good to know that my donation and participation is helping fund lots of amazing causes that I would have never known about had I not been enriched in this experience. I’m proud to keep annual traditions and events alive for my sorority’s main charity, the MS Society of Canada. Going to things like MS Walks and getting to see these affected people in person has made me much more considerate and appreciative of the life I live, and that I can do way more to help with Greek life.

Leadership & Commitment

My favorite thing about being president is that I am trusted to lead an amazing group of women for a full year of success and triumphs. It’s a very rewarding feeling when things are going smoothly and the way I planned it out, but the real thing I learned during my time at the top was that there are often more failures and issues to deal with than there are successes at times. It’s not always so glamorous or easy on the other side, which made me appreciate everything that much more. The beauty of it all is how it has made me more assertive, strong-willed, able to think on my feet, and able to let things go as quick as they come. It’s about being proud of myself for not giving up on anyone or anything. I’m thankful for a team who also works with me so cohesively with support and fair judgement. 

Sisterhood

In my past three years, especially during my time as president, I really felt the true meaning of sisterhood. Joining a diverse group of women that I can be myself with, learn from and grow with is no doubt a life-altering experience I never thought I could see myself in before I joined. The connections and bonds are truly unlike any other you will have in your whole life. It sounds cheesy, but it opens up a world of opportunities for you, whether you just want to hang out with like-minded people or strive for greatness, there is something for everyone. Sorority sisters will always love and accept everyone for who they are, and vice versa. You can’t find a more accepting place to call home with some of your best friends for life then a sisterhood!

There will never be a proper amount of words to describe all of my love and memories with Delta Psi Delta. I wish we got to have our final celebrations and proper goodbyes, but just know that I am thinking of all of you and sending so much love and safety. I want all of my sisters to know that I have nothing but the best and most fun memories with every single one of you, and I mean that. Thank you for making my final year in the sorority an amazing one. I wish for everyone to enjoy their experiences here to the fullest as well. Never forget that there is strength in all of you, please don’t ever lose those feelings of love and greatness. So, thank you, because there truly is no need to roam, because all of this is my home.

Feimoon is in her fourth and final year as an undergraduate student at York University, majoring in Communication Studies. She is passionate about traveling, fashion, beauty, writing and spreading positivity. She is now an Alumni of Delta Psi Delta, and past President. Now she focuses on being a Co-Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus York University chapter!
Averie Severs is one of the Her Campus CC's for the York U chapter. She is a film production major with a focus in documentary filmmaking.