This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

One of the interesting and rare astronomical events happening in the early 2024 is The Great North American Total eclipse of 2024. The total eclipse is happening on the 8th of April and is expected to be fully visible in east Canada, east United States and Mexico and partially visible in Europe, Central and South America. 

Solar Eclipses occur when the moon passes between the Sun and Earth, therefore blocking the view of sunlight from a part of Earth for a period of time, until the transition is completed. The total Solar eclipse occurs when the moon covers up the sun completely during the transit, allowing just the Corona, the Outer layer of the sun, to be visible. 

The partial eclipse begins at 15:42 UT and the total eclipse begins at 16:38 UT. The Greatest eclipse occurs around 18:18 UT, at Nazas, Mexico, for 4 min 28 sec. The total eclipse ends at 19:50 UT and the partial eclipse ends at 20:52 UT. (The Universal time is 4 hours ahead of Eastern time).

Canada is experiencing a total solar eclipse after 1972 and the next one is expected to be in 2044, visible in the west region of Canada. The eclipse is expected to pass the province of Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador. It’s the first and last Total solar eclipse of this century passing through Ontario and Quebec, and the next one is expected to be in the year 2106. 

Montreal in Quebec will be experiencing the 100% totality at 15:26 ET for 1 min 50 sec and in Fredericton in New Brunswick will be experiencing at 16:33 AT for 2 min 17 sec. In Ontario, the 100% totality is expected to happen in Kingston, Hamilton, Belleville and Niagara. The 100% totality starts at Hamilton at 15:18 ET for 1 min 50 sec, Bellville at 15:21 ET for 2 min 40 sec, Kingston at 15:23 ET for 3 min 4 sec, and Niagara 15:20 ET for 4 min. Toronto will experience totality of 99.8%, missed the 100% totality just by the bend of the land from the eclipse path. 

Big 3 Astrology?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

If you are an astronomy enthusiast, the totality should matter a lot to you since the 99.9% of the totality doesn’t give the complete darkness unlike 100% totality. If you are planning to observe the total solar eclipse, make sure to use solar-protected glasses (not sunglasses), as it filters out the light radiation to avoid exposing your eyes to the brightness of the sun. While using the glass, make sure that the glass doesn’t have any hole or tears. If you are using a telescope, make sure to use a solar filter. If you are in Toronto, and want to experience the 100% totality, plan to observe it around the region of Hamilton and Niagara. At last, as all the astronomers wish for, it shouldn’t be cloudy that day.

Nakul Sethuram Ramjee is a writer at the Her Campus at York University. He loves to share related to Astronomy, music, movies and some mind-blowing facts on this site. Beyond Her Campus, Nakul is pursuing his undergrad in Physics and Astronomy at York University. He's an international student in Canada, originally from India. He is also a volunteer at the Allan I. Carswell Observatory at York University campus, where he operates telescopes and hosts public tours. In his free time, he loves to do star gazing with his mini telescope, listen to music, watch movies and of course, writing.