Top Ontario Music Festivals To Look Out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

5. Ottawa Bluesfest. July 7th – July 17th

This music festival that has been running for over twenty years now, now has people traveling to Ottawa for more than the single reason of it being the nation’s capital. It incorporates many genres that come collectively together. The lineup this year includes, but isn’t limited to, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Earl Sweatshirt, Alessia Cara, etc.

4. Canadian Music Week. May 2nd – May 8th

The name gives it away. However, it doesn’t completely shy away from other international artists and bands but is predominantly Canadian. Each year, the lineup gets bigger and bigger; and for 2016, the lineup includes over 900 artists and bands. Skepta is coming but if you don’t know who that is, he is the one that got Drake to sign his label, Boy Better Know label, so don’t overlook him. It also offers more forms of entertainment than just a music festival, where other entertainers will be previewing their work as well. The best part is that it’s right here in Toronto.

3. Field Trip June 4th – June 5th

Despite being created in 2013, it does beyond well for a new music festival. It may not have a big lineup like the aforementioned festivals but it still goes for many famous artists and bands like The National, Of Montreal, Santigold, etc. It goes as far as to say that it’s more than just a music festival but unique enough to not be compared to the previous festivals. It is family oriented and is also in Toronto.

2. NXNE (North By Northeast) June 15th – June 19th

An ode to Austin’s SXSW (South By Southwest) it follows the same blueprint and mixes artists and bands of different together. It isn’t as fluid as you think it would be but that alone is the beauty of it because it exposes you to many new and different sounds. The lineup showcases talents like St. Vincent, Sleigh Bells, The Flaming Lips, etc. Alongside being the counterpart to SXSW, it is a Canadian reminiscent version of Mardi Gras. It’s also in Toronto (primarily in Dundas Square).

1. Wayhome July 22nd – July 24th

I saved the best for last because I was moved by how euphoric it was to attend Wayhome last year with big names like Kendrick Lamar, Sam Smith, Alt-J, Hozier, etc. This year’s lineup also has exciting names such as Future, Major Lazer, LCD Soundsystem, Toronto’s homegrown Tory Lanez, and many more! It takes place in fields and people are expected to camp in the same field where the artists also play on stages. Although it is the most expensive of the music festivals listed, it makes perfect sense since the experience is priceless. It is located in Oro-Medonte but that isn’t even a problem since it’s a beautiful town!