This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at York U chapter.

This year, TIFF Next Wave Film Festival is going to be taking place from February 15-17 and consists of around 30 films. This year’s theme  is “Big Mood” and includes the annual Next Wave Marathon of classic movies.

Some of the films this year like “10 Things I hate About You”, “Millennium Mambo” and “Slut in a Good Way” are inspired by teenagehood and what it feels like to be young and in love.

Photo via ctfassets

There are also several movies such as “Al Ghorba”, “Jinn” and “Every Grain of Rice” that dive into the real challenges of cultural identity, as well as having to be displaced or assimilate to new surroundings. Other than cultural identity, some of the films displayed focus on struggling with self-identity. These include “I Am I Am”, “But I’m a Cheerleader” and “Blue my Mind”.

While watching romantic movies is a great way to spend a night, some of these films take a look at the hardships people from all over the world face, in order to emphasize how completely imperfect and painful life can be sometimes.  

Photo via ctfassets

This event, which is brought to us by a heavily female dominated group, is an inspiring experience for film lovers everywhere. Because of this, the people involved in making these films offer truthful and authentic pieces that question authority and social norms.

Photo via Unsplash

Don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity to come see wonderful works of art for FREE at TIFF Bell Lightbox at Reitman Square 350 King Street West.

For more information you can visit https://www.tiff.net/nextwave/

It's me, Mojan. I'm a psychology major, currently also minoring in philosophy. I've always had a strong passion for writing so I'm glad that HerCampus has given me the opportunity to be able to share my thoughts and experiences with people.
Wilfrid Laurier University Alumna - BA Honours History & Minor in Sociology and Religion and Culture. York University B.Ed. Her Campus York U Campus Correspondent/ HSA Advisor/ Chapter Advisor.  When I'm not leading the team, advising, or writing you'll find me watching any and every reality T.V show or re-runs of Friends and Gilmore Girls. Semi-classy wine lady who thinks pineapple on pizza is a crime.